Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

A Reminder from Murray

Sparky

So my Brother-in-law drops off his 10 year old Murray at my place to have me go thru it. It needed everything, beltsx2, plugsx2, air filter, fuel filter, oilchange, bladesx2 and lots of grease!

Man what a pain to swap out the drive belt. The deck belt went easy but the drive belt dissapears behind some non-removable plate under the tractor and I had to do it by feel :thumbs: . Managed to bust open a knuckle gettin it on but my 13 year old son was there so I had to just smile thru the pain and not swear the ouch away.

The plugs, airfilter stuff went easy enuff but when it came time to grease the zerks there were only two!! And it appeared that he has never greased it in ten years cause the only two zerks on the spindles took lots and lots of grease.

Of course to get the belts swapped out the deck had to come of and its definately not an attach-a-matic setup. I had to jack up the rear of the tractor as high as my jack would go to get the deck out from under the tractor. Seems the wheel base is to short to just slide it out from under the tractor after getting the 5 cotter pins and the front hanger bar off.

It really reminded me why I like my Wheel Horses so much.

Mike.................

wse100

truth be told I haven't tinkered with tractors much, till my horse. But I can't believe how easy it is to work on. Everything is easy to get to, and it is built extremely well.

I feel for you though, it sounds like that murray is a pain.

kpinnc

Mike,

I'd love to crack on a poor Murray, but I have to be thankful for the only one I ever owned...

When the F3 rolled through and destroyed it, my homeowner's insurance replaced it with a $50 Wheel Horse and about $1200 in new parts for it.

My first resto was financed! Gotta be thankful for that!

Murrays do suck though. Even more so when they've been rolled across the back yard for about 80 feet...

Kevin

wheelhorsepuller

I know your pain... when I torn apart an old Dynamark to fix a belt.. I just about ripped two fingers off..

Some companies just built them as throw aways even years before.. I'm glad Wheelhorse had so ingenuity when it comes to the ease of maintenance... :thumbs:

rocking 416

ive worked on sevral murrays in fact im resquen one now i found on curb somone thru away not a bad find tho locked up trans axle i think water got in it when i took it apart the grease turned to dirt , its not a wheel horse but i will have to stick up for murrays because they really are decent home owner tractors an this one will be when im done with it . but you do have to maintain them

hoosier

The tractors I mow with most everyone here would thumb their nose at. I have an 18/46 MTD that still looks like new and mows good. I bought it in 1993. I take care of it. I use a bagger on it for grass clippings as mulch for my garden. My other grass cutter is a lowly Yardman. Cuts fast and good enough for me. Mowing grass is not my reason for owning these tractors, I really don't like doing it. I like to push, pull, drag something. :whistle:

rocking 416

yea me an my dad resqued a 1996 yard machines 8 speed foward 8 speeds reverse an 8 speed low range its a garden tractor 46 inch deck 20.5 hp twin cylender briggs if i can figure out how to post a pic ill post in the deck on it shakes bad tho side to side we did use used spindles on it so that pry the problem but it mows good

rocking 416
yardcrow.jpg

rocking 416

yea there is my dads yard man its 1996 garden tractor 7 speeds foward hi an low range an 7 speed reverse 20.5hp twin cylender briggs nice machine for a yard man but it dont match to the john deere!

WheelHorse_of_course

yea me an my dad resqued a 1996 yard machines 8 speed foward 8 speeds reverse an 8 speed low range its a garden tractor 46 inch deck 20.5 hp twin cylender briggs if i can figure out how to post a pic ill post in the deck on it shakes bad tho side to side we did use used spindles on it so that pry the problem but it mows good

Did you check the blade balance?

rocking 416

i have never balanced a blade in my life we slaped that tractor toghter from like 3 others i think an we got it for free but the deck really does shake alot, i isnt there a tool for blade balancen?

illinilefttackle

Rocking- I'm not a Wheel Horse expert-nor did I play one on TV-but I put a thin shank screw driver in a vise -sticking out horizontally-then I put the blade on it thru the center hole-it won't take long to show up a inbalanced blade-the heavy end will swing down-then just take a little metal off that end at a time until it hangs level-AL :whistle:

curly

Lots of time a badly worn spot in the deck drive belt can cause extensive vibrations. Most people make the mistake of trying to ease the blades in slowly which only burns the belts. When engaged with engine speed up will not burn flat spots on belt so check your belt for flat spot as well. I learned the hard way when I shook and broke plastic hood at supports.

curly in kaintuckee