Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Been working on the C120

nylyon

So for the past couple of days, I've mounted up the plow and the blower onto the C120 to get ready for winter, event hough it was 85 degrees today. Well, It did great with the plow (except it is still smoking too much) but when I put on the blower the steering had problems. I turned the wheel and the gears jumped a tooth. Looking at the problem, the shaft which runs from the steering shaft to the front has a lot of horizontal movement to it.

I think that the bushing / bearing in the front may be bad, but thought I would ask you guys first to see if you have any experience with this first. No pictures yet, I'll try to take some on what I am babbling about tomorrow.

T-Mo

Karl,

I really can't offer any advice on the steering problem. More than likely there is a bad bushing or bearing.

As for the snow removal equipment, luckily it isn't a necessity here in Missouri or it usually isn't. I do remember getting over 2 feet within a few hours in the early 80's and Christmas '02 we got over 18 inches in a two day period. But those are the exceptions not the rule here. BTW, I noticed on the evening news that parts of California is getting hit with some significant snow fall today.

T-Mo

Also, speaking of smoking Wheel Horses, I got the C-141 loaded up on the trailer and I will take it over to my lawn mower repair guy tomorrow and I will drop it off. He is supposed to get the carb lined out and then we will see what the engine needs.

refracman

Nylyon, there are shims that adjust that play in the shaft you where refering too. Move or add to either end to remove the play.

happily horsein around Steve

nylyon

I pulled up the parts diagram, would I add the shims to the front area where the flange bearing is, or to the back where the steering gears are. I am assuming to the rear of the steering gear which would "pull" it in tighter. I'll have to dig into that today to see if that can be tightened up quick.

refracman

Nylyon, add them to the backside of the steering shaft,, i beleive there is just a cotter key there add the needed shims add it should fix ya up

steve

nylyon

Perfect, thanks I'll let ya know how it turns out

nylyon

Well Steve, you're pretty much correct. In this case however I'm not sure that I even need a shim though. I took a look at the back of the assembly, and the cotter pin is completely missing. I suppose that would be the reason why the steering is messed up. Off to the hardware store for a pin. Thanks!

nylyon

All done, needed a couple of shims too. Got to love those $.19 fixes....

T-Mo

Glad you got it fixed and it didn't cost much - gotta love that. :D