Sign in to follow this  
dhuberinc

H55B Rectifier or Regulator? What is it?

dhuberinc

I'm still trying to get clarification on the starter wiring for my 1960 Suburban. I see on some of the wiring info on here that the pos(+) gets rerouted back through the ignition sw to complete the circuit to throw the solenoid. Some show it going through a regulator then the coil, some show direct to the points. Is this thing on my H55B a Rectifier or Regulator? Are they the same thing? Can I FUDGE it, bypass it, or just gawk at this thing & admire it's silent beauty?

Coadster32

On my 551-61 suburban, the positive wire goes from the battery to the starting solenoid. From the solenoid to the starter. The smaller wire on the solonoid goes to the ignition switch. The switch is grounded to the frame thru the housing. The "ground out" wire from the condencer ties into the ignition switch as well, to kill the motor. Anything else is just for charging, and or lights. Pretty basic. I don't have a charging system on mine, so I can't comment on that.

wheelhorse656

i have :thumbs: 656 that has a 6hp with a rectifire charging set up.you have wire that goes from the battery to the siloniod and from the siliniod to the battrie. then the small wire from the siloniod goes to the s on your key switch. just p.m. me if you need more help i can send pictures :)

wallfish

The rectifier is what converts the AC output of the stator coils into DC current. You will need to have it connected in order to charge your battery with the engine. I know my H60 does not regulate the power for charging the battery and the manual suggests removing a diode if running for long periods of time. Not sure what type of rectifier/regulator is on your engine. You could bypass it, I guess, manually charge the battery and gawk away at it's silent beauty. That's a good one.

wheelhorse656

if i run mine for a long time i just flip my lights on for a few minuts to keep from blowing my diods i think it dose the samething. :thumbs::):) :wh:

dhuberinc

:) Thanks a million men! :thumbs: I got it figured out -sort of. Someone posted a link with a zillion manuals on it and it had a 1961 551 manual on it with the wiring diagram for the H55B. I tested it going around the rectifier and have ignition! HORAY! I'm going to break out my meter this afternoon & see what's happening inside this rectifier thing. It would be nice to know if it'll charge the battery or not.

Save Old Iron

Take a look at this site

http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/id11.html

go down on the page to section 5-12-0 and you will find a very good explanation of what you will encounter on the rectifier circuit board.

keep us updated

wheelhorse656

if you want to ill fix your diods if there bad. just p.m. me

CasualObserver

Here's the actual 550 diagram (courtesy of member muka).... this is posted in the literature gallery under 1960. (sorry, didn't see this post earlier)

scan0014.jpg

• Like 1

dhuberinc

Thanks a million guys! -Chuck, Jordan, Jason.. Everything is crystal clear now. I figured out exactly what I needed to know and was able to test the mag output and diodes, -one was bad but I found a replacement. The ignition switch I have is flakey as heck and upon dissection reveals a plethora of wornout, rusted, and burned up parts. Any suggestions on a suitable replacement part or should I post this as another topic?

Zaemo

I'm going to be in the same boat here since I'm putting a Lauson back into my 551 that's missing all of these parts. Doesn't anyone repop the ignition switch or rectifier, or do I have to buy the old used one off of eBay? Seems like there should be a more complete wiring diagram somewhere. Where exactly is the rectifier mounted? I will probably run a separate wire from the switch to ground due to painted parts. I'll assume the switch is spring loaded for start mode.

Z

just found the switch on eBay. Someone suggested searching Massey Key and located correct two prong key type switch and keys.

Save Old Iron

Doesn't anyone repop the ignition switch or rectifier, or do I have to buy the old used one off of eBay? Seems like there should be a more complete wiring diagram somewhere. Where exactly is the rectifier mounted?

Z,

the "rectifier" is actually the 2 diodes mounted to the circuit board.

This whole assembly could be easily substituted by a pair of diodes and a fuse holder shrink wrapped into the wires off the stator. This would detract from the "originality" of the tractor, but would be an exact substitute functionality wise - and about $3 total in parts from Radio Shack to get you back up and running.

These circuit boards could be duplicated easily if anyone has an interest in doing so.

Coadster32

I took my ignition switch apart, and cleaned it all up. It's not perfect, but it does work. They aren't easy to come by.

DMK855

Z, I know it is a while away, but you can come take notes and pics from my 551 when I get it down here!!

D

Zaemo

Thanks Dwayne, I'll take you up on that. I was thinking I would throw mine in the Silverado and bring it up to your place so you could have a look.

Z

DMK855

That would be great!!

dhuberinc

I bought a Stens brand ignition switch part number 430-520, says it's for Snapper 1973-88. It fit and works perfectly. I think the big thing on the ignition switches is that theres evidently 2 types. One specifically for magneto ignition and one for battery ignition. The other issue is will it fit in the original mounting hole.

jsmoe

How nice to come across this diagram, It should help me sort this mess. I don't know how to determine which wire is which...hmmm..any help would be appreciated!

HPIM2957.jpg

the diagram in post # 9 shows you how it is wired

the top right post is output and goes to the + side of battery

bottom left and bottom right terminals are the two wires coming from the alternator

bottom center there is a wire going to the points, also a wire to the switch to ground the points

i'd also check the two diodes with an ohmmeter to make sure they are good. in the picture they are installed the correct way. if they are bad i have "fixed" them by taking them apart and put a new diode from radio shack inside the old diode housing