Sign in to follow this  
SON OF A DEALER

need new zero turn

SON OF A DEALER

I HAVE BEEN A WHEEL HORSE MAN FOR 35 YEARS NOW I NEED TO BUY NEW ZERO TURN WHAT BRAND SHOULD I BUY, 60" CUT & BIG HP

tbbahner

I've had a Country Clipper for 3 years now. Love the joy stick control, especially if you have trees or drink a cool one while mowing.

Tom B

T-Mo

JD commercial ztrs and Hustler are the two I would look at first, then Exmark, Ferris, Scag, Cub Cadet commercial,..... If you like the front mount mowers, then Walker or Grass Hopper come to mind.

nick909

I think the "Bad Boys" zero turn mowers that I've seen at Tractor Supply are some of the best on the market. Take a look for yourself.

wheelhorse656

i have mowed with a country clipper for 6 years now the best zero i have ever mowed with!!! yull love the the joystick better than than the two hand controles. :thumbs::)

they do have comercial size lawn mowers so they should be able to help you out !

hcminis

Well...I have a Dixie Chopper and love it. Guess since it was originally designed, engineered, and still being built for the most part here in Coatesville, IN helps with my decision. Plus, it came with the house we purchased about a year or so back. SO, I tell people that I have the most expensive Dixie Chopper and got a free house....

edit: These were taken when I first got the chopper. Did clean it up and get the grease off. It is cleaned after every mowing - well almost. Son doesn't understand that concept yet..

OHH...forgot one other thing. I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but believe Dixie Chopper made the ZTR's for Wheel Horse. Heard that from the local NAPA guy because he used to supply all the paint to D.C. However, could be wrong

DSC00831.jpg

DSC00832.jpg

DSC00833.jpg

DSC00834.jpg

300zx

I have the zg20 Kubota. It is the only one I have had. It has a 20 hp Kohler horizontal with drive shaft to the pump and to the gear box on the deck. The only belt is from the gear box to the outer spindles. I have had it 3 years with no problems. My only recommendation to you is that if you have hill sides you want to cut horizontally, make sure you try the mower out first on the hill sides to see if it slides around too much for you. It took a while for me to get used to steering on hillsides with the same wheels that can be sliding. I took out a bush before I figured out how to cut hill sides!! I love my Wheel Horses, but when it comes to cutting the yard fast with high tip speeds on the blades, the better ZTR's are hard to beat.

Nick

Didnt see them mentioned so why not look at a Toro Z mower. They have a pretty good price range to pick from and are very good mowers. Like anything a lot depends on the price range your looking at.

The original Wheel Horse Zs were designed by Dixie chopper. They might have even been built by Dixie chopper for a year or something but Wheel horse and then Toro took over. Only big difference I can think of to start was WH used an electric clutch and Dixie used a manual lever. Toro replaced the design quite some time ago.

Lane Ranger

Correction:

" but Wheel horse and then Toro took over "

Toro took over - Wheel Horse !

:wh

Nick
Correction:

wh500special

Come to think of it the first zero turns production must have been close to the time Toro took over so guess Im not real sure if Wheel Horse ever produced a Z mower prior to Toro/wheel horse.

It was a couple model years, Nick.

First came the 5018 (18 hp Briggs vert, 50" deck) in 1986 or 1987, then the 718, 720 (Kohler 18 and 20 horiz), and 724's (Onan 24). Toro kept the 724 in the lineup up to 1995 or so, but dropped "Wheel Horse" from the name in/around 1992.

These were all old chain-drive Dixie Chopper-type machines and pale in comparison to what's out there today. I had a 724 for a while and found it a huge improvement over a tractor-type rider, but it had its share of problems.

Later, I had a Kubota ZD-28 with a 6' deck and :thumbs: loved it. The 28 hp diesel engine ran strong and smooth and was really pretty easy on fuel. What took me 8 gallons of gas to mow with an old 724/60" and 5 gallons of diesel with a utility tractor and 6' deck got done with a little more than 2.5 gallons of diesel with the ZD.

As far as I know, Kubota is the only maker who makes the ENTIRE machine (in the top end series)...engine, transmissions, frame, deck, etc. Most ZT's are assemblies of other manufacturer's parts...not that there is anything wrong with that. But the Kubota really seems more like an engineered product than an assembly of parts and pieces.

My 'bota had 3000+ hours on it when I got rid of it and still did a good job with acceptable reliability. If I ever find I need another monster mowing machine, it will be another Kubota diesel...or a Toro 16' batwing :)

This is a great time of year to buy a used machine.

Good luck,

Steve

Lane Ranger

Nick: Sorry about that - I read your message wrong. You have it right!

:thumbs:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Cub Cadet and Massey Ferguson (and others) have models with steering wheels because a lot of people would like to have one hand free for low tree branches, beverages, etc.

If you have hilly terrain you may want to consider a front braking system due to a number of deaths from flipping over. www.tedbrakes.com

ducky

i use to run a JD 777 6' and a scag turf tiger 5' and two kubotas a 6' and a 5' i forget the models but the kubotas are great for flat thick grass and the scag is great on hills the only bummer it was a little under powered it have's a 22hp Briggs. the only bummer to the kubota is the price tag. but the kubotas are easy to maintain. they were thinking of the costumier on that aspect. in a commercial setting the kubotas are the best bang for the buck but the residential setting id go with JD or scag. that is my two cents worth.

truckin88

Scag nuff said....if you want a diesel they offer one with a CAT diesel.

Budget minded Toro Titans and Pro line, Ransomes Bobcats, and my favorite Gravely

Nick

Nick: Sorry about that - I read your message wrong. You have it right!

:thumbs:

The way I wrote it was a bit confusing. Was also going to say more about the Zs and cut that out so didnt really explain what I was after.

Nick

Having a good local dealer makes a big difference on what to buy.

rustbucket

I mow commercialy useing bob cat mowers made by the jacobsen company. they work good and they have both a side discharge and rear discharge deck option for their 61 inch deck.

Operator

Not that I'd give up my 520H and 60" for mowing.

But with all the brands mentioned here no one said Dixon. My neighbor swears by it. I ask him how does it work with a tiller?

Randy