Sign in to follow this  
rrlascott

rrlascott

I have a GT 14, and had to change the points. A car is easier. I don't see a timing mark. I'm use to more then one cylinder. I can set the gap. No big deal, but when?

TT

There's guys on here that use dial indicators, slide rules, trigonometry, timing marks, lights, etc. to figure out the proper phasing of the lobe to gap the points. :thumbs:

Me personally..... I do it the same way I have been for 30-ish years. Turn the engine over by hand until the points are open to the widest gap and set them. Turn the engine a few revolutions and re-check the gap. It's not much different than setting them on an automobile - except you can't see the lobe(s).

piecrazy4

There should be timing marks somwhere to use to set the points.

TT

There should be timing marks somwhere to use to set the points.

There are timing marks - and the instructions for using them are in the appropriate Kohler service manual.

But.... the point gap has to be set when the push rod is on the highest part of the lobe ~ regardless of where the timing marks are.

Once the points are initially gapped at .020" (or whatever setting the manual specifies), you can then start the engine and use a stroboscopic light (and the marks) to determine if the timing is set correctly.