Sign in to follow this  
KB9LOR

3-Speed Tranny Repair

KB9LOR

I have a 855 with the 3-speed tranny, I it will not stay in gear, therefore I am going to split the trans and get it fixed, anyone have a repair manual or could point me in the right direction, I have a 6-and 8 speed tranny manual, but need the 3-speed manual, anyone in the know? Thanks in advance!

KB9LOR

Okay guys, when you split the trannt shallow end up or down, it shows in a 6 8 speed manual that the shallow side should be up, w/ the shifter facing the mechanic, is this right for the 3 speed too?

pfrederi

The transmission overhaul manual you can download from Toro covers the older 3 speeds like yours and the 6-8 speeds. For all the shallow side is clamped in the vice and the side with the gearshift hole is lifted off.

KB9LOR

Thanks Paul, that helps alot!

KB9LOR

Here is what I found, anyone know where I can get the 2 bad gears?

100_1026.jpg

100_1025.jpg

TT

The reverse idler gear should be easy to locate, but you might want to tear the rest of it apart and check the input shaft gear too. I suspect it could be worn (many are) along with the "face teeth" on the second/high gear. Finding a good used input shaft and the second/high gear for the old three speeds is getting tougher. Once you determine exactly what you need, we'll go from there. :thumbs:

KB9LOR

The reverse idler gear should be easy to locate, but you might want to tear the rest of it apart and check the input shaft gear too. I suspect it could be worn (many are) along with the "face teeth" on the second/high gear. Finding a good used input shaft and the second/high gear for the old three speeds is getting tougher. Once you determine exactly what you need, we'll go from there. :thumbs:

TT which gears are which? the manual I have does not show what each gear is.... sorry but am new to Trannys.

TT

I just noticed that it looks like the teeth (for low gear) are wiped out on the cluster gear too. :thumbs:

More pictures, please. :)

TT

This might help:

gearz.jpg

The gear on the other fork ("above" the second/high gear) is low/reverse. I guess I forgot to label it.

KB9LOR

I just noticed that it looks like the teeth (for low gear) are wiped out on the cluster gear too. :thumbs:

More pictures, please. :)

Yeah just saw that too. It may be best to find a used tranny I guess, I am posting a pick of the cluster gear...BTW 1st and 2nd gear worked fine, the only gear bad was the 3rd gear.

100_1027.jpg

KB9LOR

Thanks TT, do you know if those gears are available? Just need verification, because if not I am going to find another 3 -speed to put in it.

TT

You might (and I stress might ) be able to get them new, but you could buy several parts tractors for the money you'd spend to get the new gears.

I'd say that your two choices would be to either find used parts and repair your current tranz, or find a complete working tranz and swap it out.

KB9LOR

You might (and I stress might ) be able to get them new, but you could buy several parts tractors for the money you'd spend to get the new gears.

I'd say that your two choices would be to either find used parts and repair your current tranz, or find a complete working tranz and swap it out.

I will go the way of swapping out the tranny if I can't find the gears themselves reasonable, I can't see paying an arm and a leg when I could buy a parts tractor....thank for all your help TT.

puddlejumper

I am not sure how far apart we are but I have a tranny that the bearings are out of the input shaft that you can have if it is worth the drive.

Coadster32

Brand new those gears you need are over $100 each. (some are $200+), and some are obsolete. I'd suggest finding a donor. Good luck.

KB9LOR

I am not sure how far apart we are but I have a tranny that the bearings are out of the input shaft that you can have if it is worth the drive.

Very much worth the trip down to you puddlejumper, I may be able to get down that way towards the middle of the week at the earliest, when would be a good day and time for you? If you want you can PM me.

puddlejumper

After 5 weekdays normally Just let me know a day in advance if possible that way I can say no when asked to work overtime at the last minute.

KB9LOR

After 5 weekdays normally Just let me know a day in advance if possible that way I can say no when asked to work overtime at the last minute.

No problem, will give you a days notice. I do appreciate your help! If I ever have parts you need they are yours!

KB9LOR

Puddlejumper, I will be down there thursday evenimg, is this okay? Could you PM me your address so I can punch it into my GPS?

Thanks alot!