Sign in to follow this  
fireman

Ride-Away Senior Experts Needed!

fireman

I went to look at a Senior yesterday but didn't buy it yet because I have some serious concerns on the transmission situation. The original tranny is missing the upper half of the bell housing and the input shaft has a sprocket welded to it. The gear on the output shaft is also welded on. The good news is there is a replacement transmission with it. The problems I see is the replacement transmission still has it's original input shaft which is thicker than the Seniors. The tail shaft still has the drive shaft yoke on it. Next the flywheel is from the original Ford V8 because it has about a 1 1/4" bore in it and the Wisconsin engines shaft looks to be 3/4" so I would have to use a bushing or find the correct one. The throw out bearing is seized. Not sure if it is original to the Ford tranny or changed by the Ponds. The backing plates for the rears brakes has some rust and rot. The area where the brake cable enters it on the right one is severely compromised.

Any help from any of you guys who have one or have the knowledge about them would be greatly appreciated. I really want this tractor but I'm not gonna buy it unless I can guarantee that I can get it operational.

I have included pictures of everything.

2010-10-22110010.jpg

2010-10-22105647.jpg

2010-10-22105736.jpg

2010-10-22105655.jpg

2010-10-22105713.jpg

2010-10-22105744.jpg

2010-10-22105817.jpg

2010-10-22105805.jpg

2010-10-22105756.jpg

2010-10-22105834.jpg

2010-10-22105845.jpg

2010-10-22105918.jpg

2010-10-22105940.jpg

stevasaurus

WOW Jeff...looks like quite the find. I am going to sit back and watch this one...wish I knew so as to help. :thumbs: Good luck on your quest. :)

fireman

It was a 600 mile round trip. It really sucked to come back empty handed but I just couldn't see shelling out that kind of money for something that I don't know enough info about.

Don1977

I have never seen one, but it looks like the engine was changed.

Didn't they have Briggs engines. Where is the shaft behind the clutch

that had the drive sprocket, if that welded sprocket on the trans. was

original. Hope some one who has one can clear it up for you.

I can't tell but it looks like all you need is a gear to fit the tail shaft.

The clutch linkage and to bolt the bell housing up to the engine if the

engine lines up in the right location. Did you take any measurements

to see if the trans and bell housing will fit.

fireman

I think the older lever steers had the Briggs. The newer models came with the Wisconsin. The big sprocket is not original. Don't know the person who did it was thinking :thumbs: This clutch set up was exactly like how a car is.

Don1977

They were trying to gear it down, don't know what they were going to use for a clutch.

Saw the gear off the trans. have it bored out and saw down the universal joint that is on the good trans. have it turned for a press fit inside the gear and you should be good to go.

After looking at the pictures I would try grinding the weld off of that gear and try to get it off the tail shaft.

mavfreak

I wish I could explain what I see better cause to me it looks like everything would work with a little work. Well maybe alot of work. It looks like there is a snap ring on the output shaft that is holding on the yoke. And it look like the weld is just exturnal on the gear plus the gear and the shaft are should be hardened so the weld maynot have gotten a real good bite on it. It really just looks like it all should come together

By the way I know nothing about the ride-away seniors I just went by what I can see in your pictures.

fireman

What you can't see in the pictures is that both sides of the the sprocket on the front and the gear on the back are welded :thumbs: . It looks to me like the input shaft has been cut short on the original tranny. I'm sure I could fabricate everything I need. It's just gonna take time and CASH. The other big down fall to the tractor as a whole is that there is pitting on almost every part of the tractor. It must of sat out in the rain for years before being restored. Like I said earlier, for the amount the tractor cost plus what I would have to lay out to complete it, I'm think I might be better off waiting till another one comes up for sale that is complete and in better shape.

Rollerman

What you can't see in the pictures is that both sides of the the sprocket on the front and the gear on the back are welded :thumbs: . It looks to me like the input shaft has been cut short on the original tranny. I'm sure I could fabricate everything I need. It's just gonna take time and CASH. The other big down fall to the tractor as a whole is that there is pitting on almost every part of the tractor. It must of sat out in the rain for years before being restored. Like I said earlier, for the amount the tractor cost plus what I would have to lay out to complete it, I'm think I might be better off waiting till another one comes up for sale that is complete and in better shape.

You don't come across these to often.

I would say everything should be easy enough to find with exception of the gear at the back of the trans that goes in the reverser box.

Not sure about the trans you have pictured.

Can't remember if mine had just a standard Model A trans or The Model A V8 version....been awhile.

Could be as simple as locateing another trans that will fit.

Any clubs or Model A collectors that are in your area?

And as far as the pitting.....it adds character in my opinion.

In the era these tractor were built & the budget they were built for I'd guess some of the steel the Ponds used came pitted.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Gerry w

Jeff, I agree with Stephen, I've seen your work, up close. I would love to see someone like you who has the skills and love of the brand to end up with something like that which is close to done. You would take it to the next level, and make it the way it should be.

My only question after seeing your garage is where would you put it???

fireman

Gerry,

I have thinned out a little since then. Two tractors have been sold and delivered and a third, The C-200 with loader, will be leaving this week. So I now have the room. I was hoping some of the more experienced guys like TT, Evan, or Dustin would see this post and shed some light on this for me.

Zaemo

Definitely an early ford trans. Here's the throw out bearing:

http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-clutch-r...S0R3CHL1072437/

There are some numbers on the yoke side of the trans case that will tell you what year it is. Go here to ID it. I recognize a lot of Ford parts on that tractor, sorry I don't know more.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathea...nsID_3speed.htm

Chad

mavfreak

It sounds like to me you don't want to buy this if you drove for 600 miles to take pictures and leave it there then its not worth it. And yes it is hard to make an assessment of what is there and what you are dealing with from some pictures.

I would have come home with it but that's me.

If you wanted it it would have already happened

whlpny

Jeff- emails- sent.

Kelly

Heath, it's probably a few grand to buy it, and spending that much money on a toy, takes some thought.

mavfreak

I understand that kelly and I do feel I owe an apology because I came off a little ruff. I would really like to have one of these and know they are not cheep at all and in my location they are like snipe and don't exist. I would have had a very hard time walking away from this especially after a 300 mile drive with a 300 mile drive home. Fireman may have done the right thing he may not and I feel he is doing the right thing for him.

fireman

Heath if you want one that bad then go buy this one. It's right in your back yard. 135 miles to be exact! :thumbs:

mavfreak

really wow! But alas no job cause of corporate downsizing. But seriously if money was available I would!

TT

My opinion of this Senior:

If it was worth what the seller is (and has been) asking for it, it would have been "scarfed up" by a collector by now.

It's not like it's a hidden secret - and it's definitely located amongst some pretty big collectors. :)

I think you made a wise decision, Jeff. Three big bills (plus) is a lot of $! :thumbs:

Ken B

I'm no senior expert by any stretch. That said I agree all the way with TT. With all the collectors knowing about this tractor ya gotta :thumbs: wonder why none have popped on it. Not knowing the condition of any of the other major parts on this tractor is a serious concern. I would have to take care of all that pitting if it were mine, it can be done but it would take lots of time. Sometimes ya just gotta close yer eyes and walk away.

Very smart decision to hesitate.

stevebo

I have to say that I was sure Jeff would drag that one home. I am impressed that he had the mindset to take inventory and be able to walk away. Many new collectors (I am guilty too) make a purchase no matter what. I have been collecting for only a short time however I have learned to be selective in my purchases as well. Sometimes you have to walk away. :) Like my wife says "it is not a good deal if you do not need it". She has to be one of the most understanding people I know. She really lets me do my own thing.. :thumbs:

Coadster32

600 miles round trip, and didn't come home with it....Sounds like an educated, patient man to me. Lots of self control, and you get :) for that. Like Steve said, it's easy to impulse buy.

Hey Jeff, you don't buy many candy bars while your waiting in the checkout line, do you? :thumbs:

grnlark

I personally love the Seniors but know close to nothing about them. As noted above, this particualr machine is reletively well known. Several months back, I thought about it for a milli-second myself. But not knowing enough about them, and knowing that the seller is historically insane on his prices led me to believe it was overpriced. The fact that it's still on the market - as rare as it is - has to tell you something. :thumbs: