Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

Steel Hood with louvers "HELP"

kj4kicks

OK guys, I need to pick your brains a little. Besides the 520's, what other models had louvers on the top of a STEEL hood (not the plastic things) ?

The WH dealer dude mis-understood what I wanted. He thought I just needed an older style hood with the louvers in the front (which I would call the grille).

I swear I remember seeing some smaller models on ebay that had louvers.

Anybody?

If not, I need to call my shrink LOL.

TIA for your help.

Eldon.... in search of.....

nylyon

A lot of the older 200 series had louvered hoods. Like the 212-6 on eBay now: 280159500166. Many of the 85 models had louvers as well, mostly 417's and such. I don't have a complete list but I'll keep looking for you.

perry

oh jeez, i dont have a clue. to new for me. i just got into the seventys this year with my B-100. sorry i could'nt help.

T-Mo

I'm like Perry, I haven't a clue, but it's because I'm new to WHs. But, I did find this on the Horse Sense magazine that Karl posted here of the 1985 WH lineup. Sure looks like a few hood louvers here:

1985lineup_resize.jpg

kj4kicks

Thanks for the help guys ! Now I know what to look for, and it's nice to know I'm not as crazy as I thought I was......

Eldon.

nylyon

Not sure what you would do with the rest of the tractor:

eBay: 330171587008

kj4kicks

Thanks Karl ! I have it on my watch list. It's less than 2 hours from me.

Eldon... fingers crossed (again)

nylyon

Eldon forget the Wheel Horse louvers, I mean who cares if it's a Wheel Horse Louver or not. Since the nights are getting cooler, I removed the window air conditioners from our windows. I'll tell you, Carrier makes some nice louvers, and finding a JUNK air conditioner should be easy this time of year, and you will be able to just about pick your louver design. Single row wide, double row narrow you name it. Might be an easier route for you. Just a thought.

kj4kicks

Well, I haven't completely solved the louver situation yet, but I think they will be getting stamped into the 160 hood.

A bit of good news though, Terry Dennis (the decal guy) was able to make me these:

c520%20autopic.jpg

He also repro'd my original 1077 woodgrain decals, and will soon be offering them for sale.

new%20decals.jpg

Eldon.... back in happy land !

kpinnc

Who's Terry Dennis?

I've always bought most of my decals from Ed Mayhew. How are Terry's decals, and what will the prices be?

Just curious, because I have a Charger 10 and Bronco 14 that will need the full set...

nylyon

That C-520 is really cool! I wonder what it would look like if it said "Loader" instead of Automatic? Ether way, this should get attention!

kj4kicks

He is vinylguy52 on ebay, and his store name is "Midwest Custom Graphics".

Terry Dennis

505 Mavis Dr.

East Galesburg, IL. 61430

also has:

"KEEP THE MISSION FIRST"

www.troopsigns.com

He's supposed to be shipping them on Monday, so I haven't actually seen them yet. I'll let you know.

Eldon.

nylyon

I added his store to the links under Decals. Does he do custom work for anyone?

kj4kicks

Thanks for adding him to the list. I have talked with him several times, and he's a super nice guy. I know his main focus is on the military support decals, but he does custom work also.

Eldon.

refracman

Eldon, Iv been workin with Terry also, like you said hes a great guy to work with. I've been sendin him NOS decals and good used ones to copy and pics, small world, he is also sendin me out some on monday (hope they dont get mixed up :D ) im gettin our local dealer ones done from back in the 60s to the 90s when he went out of biz and wh ones he dont have yet.

Thats cool he can do the wood grain one, now i can get the gt hood ones.

Steve

T-Mo

Nice decals, I love it.

"The Other Terry"

T-Mo

If you haven't found a hood with louvers, how's this:

WH Hood

kj4kicks

Hi Terry, Thanks for that. He also has some other 520 parts that I may need !

Eldon.

nylyon

I wonder if you got the 520 hood if it would be easier to remove grill portion of the 160 hood and put it on the 520? That way you wouldn't need to fabricate the louvers or back end piece?

kj4kicks

Hmmmmmm..... now you tell me !

I've already notched the 160 hood, and believe me, the 160 steel is ALOT thicker than the 520. I may buy the one on ebay to keep as my spare. Since my original got punched right between the eyes, I won't mind chopping it up.

On another note, my new 4 ply front tires FINALLY showed up. I blasted the wheels last night, so now I'm heading to the garage to paint them.

Later....

Eldon.

nylyon

You'll have to let us know how it steers with the 520 and 4-ply's on there. It'll probably be much easier with the added pressure (in the tires that is :D )