Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

I need some more enlightening :)

Horse'n Around

Howdy all,

Well Ive been having a blast working on the 1970 Raider 10 that I picked up last month and I have made a ton of progress with it. As mentioned in an earlier post I rewired it and thanks to TT who alerted me that I had the wrong switch and told me which one would work. I bought the correct ign switch for my needs (I had installed one for a batt ign on it and it required one for a mag ign) Im so fortuneate that I didnt ruin the solid state ignition when I test fired it using the wrong switch. I have a new headlight switch on order rom Cole Heerse. After doing a carb rebuild the Techy is running just great. Almost too good, (I always get worry a bit when things go too good). Presently Im just keeping busy doing the odds and ends stuff .I am buying a trans from Kelly for it. (the origional has some serious internal mechanical failure issues which resulted in trashed cases and such) I have the seat at a friends house who has an upholstery busness and hes redoing the seat for me :)

Ok on to my latest set of questions...

(1) When running engine/tractor without a belt on the PTO drive,is it better to keep the PTO engaged or disengaged? The reason that I ask this is because when the engine is shut down with it disengaged the PTO pulley spins down for a while after shut down due to its weight and stored energy. I dont know if this will cause a bit of accelerated wear to the caged needle bearings within the assembly from spinning down at those RPM's. If it is engaged when shut down it will stop immedietly with the engine rather than spinning down to a stop.

(2) I am getting ready to install new throttle and choke cables on it, but I dont know how they are supposed to be routed from the dash to the engine, the origionals were disconnected from the engine and hanging. It appears that the throttle cable goes from the dash and runs to the PTO side of the engine and passing the crank and then down in front and from there I think it might curve further down and back upward pretty sharply to the conduit/cable clamp on the opposite side of the blower housing. If so what keeps this fairly sharp turn in the cable housing from binding and disrupting the operation of the cable? Also I have not the faintest idea how the choke cable is run, there is no evidence of it anywhere on the tractor or engine. I have looked at every picture of Raiders with Techys that I can find and I have not found a picture that shows it.

(3) What type of muffler were these origionally equipped with? Mine has one that comes from the engine and then goes forward and down between the engine and grill. I have seen many pictures of Raiders that have just a screw in muffler, were these just replacement mufflers or was it a mix of the two?

Thanks again for everyones help, past and present :thumbs:

John

Horse'n Around

Does anyone have any info that might help me?

John

racinfool40

Az as far as I can remember the choke cable went down around the blower housing and straight up to the choke. was connected to the blower housing with the lilltle cable clamps that were held on with the blower shroud bolts. and the throttle cable routed in between the muffler and engine. And the muffler you have is the same one that came on mine when it had the Tecky on it. As far as the pto I was told to leave it disengaged unless I was using it...If I'm wrong I hope others will help....And also just returned from Kelly's and saw your Tranny. Really nice guy I went to pick-up that c-161 and ended up coming home with 2 :thumbs::) Hope this helps MIKE.....

chazm

Hi AZT

Here's some pics of my raider 10 cables, hope this helps you out :thumbs:

HPIM0400-1.jpg

HPIM0401.jpg

Chaz :)

racinfool40

:) Sorry AZ got my words mixed around in my above post what Chazm has pictured is what my raider 12 looked like and again I replaced mine with a kohler 3yrs ago :thumbs:

Horse'n Around

Mike and Chaz, thank you for your help, those pictures are perfect, the cable routing is clear as a bell.The choke cable especially really had me scratching my head , now everything makes perfect sence.

So Mike, you ended up coming back with 2 more WH's... that will give you plenty of fun stuff to work on this winter :wh: Now you need to post some pictures of them :) Im doing everything I can to the Raider so that when I recieve the trans from Kelly, everything will be all ready mechanicly so I can give it a whirl thru town :thumbs: Im really looking forward to riding it for the first time. Im really interested to see what the Hi vs Low gear range feel like also. Im itching to start doing the bodywork and paint work on this as well as my 702's but Im going to let that wait untill we move and I have a "man cave" of some sort to work in.

I bought something neat this morning that Ive been wanting for a long time. When I was a kid my Dad bought me a beat up Rupp mini bike, I had a absolute blast on it , I rode it everywhere, my Dad clocked me at almost 45 MPH on it on level on afternoon. I have been wanting to find another and eventually restore it.Well I saw a 1970 Rupp Roadster on Craigslist in Tucson so I went and brought it home. I got it for $36.00 minus engine and handle bars.Its in really good shape considering its been sitting for 25 years. A lot of stuff that is ususally long gone like the factory headlight and tail light as well as the complete wiring and center stand are still on it. The gas tank is in great shape and only has a very small ding on it. As I said its missing the engine, it origionally came with a 4 HP Tecky , for now I have 2 1/2 HP Tecky to put in it (gutless :) ) untill I can find a 4 HP for it. I need to take some pictures of it so I will have before and after shots of it when I get it done.I have really fond memories of that mini bike. Now they have turned into collector items,probably because of other guys like me that had one when they were kids.Someday I want to find a Black Widow , that would be cool!!!!

Thanks again for your help Mike and Chaz, I really apreciate it !!

John

Duff

Hey, John....not to go off-topic, but how's your wife doing? You haven't mentioned her in a while which I take as good news? :)

Duff :thumbs:

Horse'n Around

Hey, John....not to go off-topic, but how's your wife doing? You haven't mentioned her in a while which I take as good news? :)

Duff :thumbs:

Thanks for asking about Margo, she is doing really good.She did got a post op infection a few weeks ago but we caught it fast and she got put on a good antibiotics and about a week later she had it kicked. She is really something! Shes doig awesome, she the real trooper :wh: Im so thankfull for her, it was really scary there for a while.Im really proud of her.We are so thankfull for everyones prayers and thoughts thru all of this. Thank you all sooooo much!

John

chazm

Glad to hear the good news :thumbs:

Still have my ears open for any Wal -marts opening

Horse'n Around

Glad to hear the good news :thumbs:

Still have my ears open for any Wal -marts opening

Thank you Chaz, I appreciate your looking out for me. I appreciate it a LOT!!!! We want to get out of here!!!! :wh:

John