Sign in to follow this  
btrrg1969

inquiring minds want to know

btrrg1969

How long did they make 417-8 ? Is this the only twin kohler motor on wheel horse's? Were this cast blocks? What series were these engines , magnum , command ? inquiring minds want to know

TT

The 417 models were made in 1985 & 1986.

Kohler twin usage on Wheel Horses dates as far back as 1973 on the 18 automatic (K482) and runs up until 1987 on the 418 models. (M-18 Magnum) Toro then took over and began using the Onan ("Power Plus") P series twins instead of the Kohler twins.

The 417 models used a KT-17 (Kohler Twin) series II (improved lubrication, etc.) aluminum block (with individual, removable cylinders) engine. They were the smallest in the KT line - which consisted of the KT-17, 19, and 21 engines.

They are an opposed "flathead" air-cooled twin.

btrrg1969

Terry,

I should have just e-mailed you directly , however this way we all learn :) . Thanks Buddy :thumbs:

TT

I think I better add this...........

The information provided above is representative of only the "original" derivatives of Wheel Horse tractors prior to the Toro acquisition.

Models such as the 268-H, 518xi, etc. do indeed have Kohler twins (Command V twins) and Wheel Horse stickers :thumbs: , so technically they could also be included.

zieg72

Thanks TT for adding that... My 269H has been feeling left out lately and that was just the boost she needed...