Sign in to follow this  
Coors

520H tuff hydro trans

Coors

I have a 95 520H with hydro trans. The trans stays fine when moving but it is tuff to move forward and back. It doesn't seem to be smooth like other hydro's I have used. it will go 1/4 speed fine then i have to push pretty hard to get to go full speed. Is it to tight or any thing I can do to make it smoother? I lifted the seat and the plate that the hydro almost looks worn about a 1/4 of the way, but also looks like it is supposed to be that way. Anyone have an image or ideas so I can compare?

Also, I can have it running for a few minutes and let it idle, then all of a sudden it will move on its own forward or in reverse. It is like someone bumps it forward (or reverse) but no one is on it??

Thanks,

300zx

Coors, there is a tension and neutral adjustment under the seat. The forward one is the neutral adjustment and the rear one controls the tension on the hydro lever. Get your manual from the Toro site by inputing you model number (on the fender pan under the seat) in the Homeowner/Manual tabs and it will explain how to adjust both. It sounds like the tension washers may have worn a grove in the plate. If so, you may have to replace the plate.

Good Luck!

Coors

Coors, there is a tension and neutral adjustment under the seat. The forward one is the neutral adjustment and the rear one controls the tension on the hydro lever. Get your manual from the Toro site by inputing you model number (on the fender pan under the seat) in the Homeowner/Manual tabs and it will explain how to adjust both. It sounds like the tension washers may have worn a grove in the plate. If so, you may have to replace the plate.

Good Luck!

300zx-thanks for the information. I will look into that tonight. I see on toro.com the plate is "108333-cam speed control" for $16.24. Not to bad if it helps.

Thanks,

nylyon

Here's a picture of my 416, should be about the same. My best suggestion to you is to remove all the plates and covers to expose the linkage. Lubricate everything except the friction points on the hydro itself. Clean out all the grass that gets clogged into everything as well.

GEDC0303.jpg

Coors

Here's a picture of my 416, should be about the same. My best suggestion to you is to remove all the plates and covers to expose the linkage. Lubricate everything except the friction points on the hydro itself. Clean out all the grass that gets clogged into everything as well.

GEDC0303.jpg

Thank you very much for the image. My plate has the same groove/notch so it much not be a wear issue. I will tear into it this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

nylyon

On mine, that friction area (with the big washer) doesn't have a groove, it's just a different color / texture because of the friction, but no groove.

Coors

On mine, that friction area (with the big washer) doesn't have a groove, it's just a different color / texture because of the friction, but no groove.

By having the same groove I was talking about the top slot in your image where the hydro forward and reverse pattern is. I was talking about the area in the picture where the cable is making a shadow. I didn't know if that area was supposed to be like that.

Thanks,

Forest Road

How did you make out? It sounds as if I'm having the same issue.