Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

K241 Flywheel Removal

MaineDad

IMG00123.jpg

I have broke one puller and have had this one on for two days now with no success! I have been soaking it with PB Blaster too. Any tricks? This puller is starting to bend :thumbs:

WH nut

Smack the puller bolt with a good hit, should pop right off

Horse'n Around

X2 what Rick said... make sure there is pressure on the puller and give the puller bolt a whack dead center.

John

MaineDad

Well I bent puller#2 tonight. I gave it a couple good whacks with tension as instructed with no success. I crank the puller a little bit more and whacked it again. Nothing. Cranked on the puller and kurplunk - bent the thread screw.

So I got out the torch and heated it real good for about 5 minutes then took a big bolt and whacked it again. Nothing. Any more ideas?

B-8074

How much heat did you apply and to what area of the fly wheel?

Polaris2007

Micah, If you go to the local Napa or Autozone, you can buy an automotive harmonic balancer puller. It will work on the Kohler flywheels, and it has a cast body that will not bend. Use the shortest bolts that you can to screw into the flywheel. This will keep the center bolt that you tighten as short as can be, and minimize it bending. I use that with a 1/2" impact gun. I haven't found a flywheel yet that will stand up to this method.

WH nut

If you have an air chisel, put a blunt bit in it and wrap around the hole while you have tension on it

MaineDad

I heated around the shaft with special attention to the keyway. Should I have done something else?

I will go get a harmonic balancer puller today, if I can find one...

B-8074

Your local auto parts store should have it. As for appling heat, you don't want to apply direct heat to the crank shaft. Apply the heat to just one side of the fly wheel near the key way. Think of it as a clock with the key way at high noon. Apply heat from 11 to 2 , this will allow the flywheel to expand without to much affect to the crank. Focus the heat to the flywheel. You should see the moisture leaving the flywheel. I don't know what kind of torch you have. Cutting or plumbers, but either one will work. Just remember you want the flywheel to expand, not the crank shaft.

The heat with the harmonic balancer puller, you should be good. If you have an impact gun for your compressor use it. The impact action will definetly help. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

pfrederi

When you finally get it off , what with all the hammering and heating you may find that the magnets are loose and/or not very magnetic anymore

MaineDad

Found the puller at Napa. 12 bucks. Started using it and both the big threaded bolt and the crank is flattening as I crank it tighter. Walking a way for an hour to cool off! And yes the flywheel nut has been removed.

MaineDad

Found the puller at Napa. 12 bucks. Started using it and both the big threaded bolt and the crank is flattening as I crank it tighter. Walking a way for an hour to cool off! And yes the flywheel nut has been removed.

MaineDad

Broke the Napa Harmonic Balancer Puller too. The engine is in the vehicle and will be delivered to the machine shop with the flywheel on! I have removed several flywheels in the past, and this one beat the you-know-what out of me! Hopefully the machine shop can press it off.

stevasaurus

Micah...it ain't you buddy...they just don't make pullers like they used to. :thumbs:

Hope that helps. :)

MaineDad

Thanks. The engine is at the Machine Shop right now!

wheelhorse656

i feel your pain last summer i broke 2 pullers trying to get a hub off of my transmission to replace a couple of bad seals. never did get it off. dont you hate that. :thumbs: :)