Sign in to follow this  
Save Old Iron

Mid TachMatic brackets

Save Old Iron

Just got a "bucket" of spare WH hardware passed on to me. After a little cleaning up, I noticed this difference in the Mid Tachmatic brackets.

Concerning the extra metal on piece B shown by the yellow arrows,

Any place "A" could be used that "B" could not - seems the only difference would be how far the top of the bracket would come to the top of the frame.

Attached Image

post-3-1287032824.jpg

tgranthamfd

Hadn't noticed any differences on mine, I ordered ones for my 2005 for most of my older ones, without any issues so far.

rmaynard

What model are they from?

They don't look anything like my mid-mount plates ('77 B-100), which carry a part number of 102644. That part number is good for many models up to and including the 2004 315-8. Same plate fits both left and right.

16e071a8.jpg

Don't quite know what you've got there and why there is a difference.

Bob

MikesRJ

Part "B" looks like it is from a pre-72 (old style) mid-mount. Or it could be an old style front hitch part, see the following manuals:

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...5211_A-5173.pdf

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...-5231_A5213.pdf

Part "A" looks to be from a post-72 (new style).

The "B" part shown is the same as that on my '71 800 Auto, which used a Hair Pin to retain the clamp in holding position, instead of the spring rod (as shown in Bob's post).

rmaynard

And as the manuals point out, Wheel Horse referred to them as Speed Hitch, not Tach-a-Matic. To the best of my knowledge, the Tach-a-Matic name came along in 1972 and continued through the end of the line.

So based on all of the above, my guess is that you have some pieces from pre-1972 Speed Hitches.

Bob

mr.pipes

I bought a 1965 605 a few weeks ago that came with a thrower and had a deck already on it. It came with some extra brackets. One is the same as "B" posted by S.O.I and the other is similar but has an extra bit of metal on the top with a post welded on. The post takes a pulley on an arm for the belt tension on a snow thrower. Cant get pics to upload on this laptop for some reason.

evanloock

It appears from the illustrations that the narrower style hitch is due to it being used on both the long-frame tractors and the large frame GT-14. On the GT-14 the hitch plates were mounted inside the frame rails necessitating the more narrow design to avoid interference with the right angle bend of the frame rail.

Save Old Iron

Thanks to all

as I dug down deeper in the bucket o' parts

other brackets started to appear with supporting evidence this is a "pre 72" speed hitch.