Sign in to follow this  
shawn844

What engine to use?

shawn844

I am working on rebuilding my RJ 58, when I bought it it had a Briggs and Stratton 5hp in it. I cant find a K90 or 91 here in utah or I would install one. My question is what is the best replacement engine to install that wont take major retro fitting?

Thanks all. Shawn

wallfish

I would keep searching for a K90 or K91. Only around $30-40 to have one shipped. I bought a Clinton through the mail and it was $32 to have it shipped.

My RJ had a little 4hp Tecumseh on it when it was bought. Just get something small enough to fit under the hood so you don't have to cut it. Place a wanted ad here on RS for a K90/91. I think someone had some for sale not to long ago.

That's $.02 worth

VinsRJ

You really have five engine choices, Kohler k90 or k91 / Clinton 1200 or A1200 or B1290. All could be correct for a RJ 58 / 59.

wallfish

You really have five engine choises, Kohler k90 or k91 / Clinton 1200 or A1200 or B1290. All could be correct for a RJ 58 / 59.

Quite Vin, we don't need another guy out there looking for Clintons

shawn844

Thanks for the info on the engines, I will keep trying for the K90's and the others. There's not to much of those engines out west here in UT.

shawn844

Well I broke down and bought a used Briggs industrial 5hp, its in great shape and fits perfect. I am still keeping my eye open for the K90.