Sign in to follow this  
Zaemo

New Guy Questions

Zaemo

Hey guys, I have some questions.

I've never had or driven a Wheel Horse but I am in the market to buy one. I'm looking at a RedSquare member's 1960 550 Suburban to get me started. I'm just looking to pull my kids around in a wagon.

Does this have 3 forward gears and reverse?

Can I find an original engine easily enough if it doesn't have one?

What are the two levers on the tank? Throttle and choke?

Are the pedals clutch and brake?

Do these tractors have a parking brake?

I assume the forward lever is just for deck height?

I like the smaller earlier tractors but I'm worried about the engine location. Are my kids in more danger of getting burned from the earlier rear mounted engines?

Thanks in advance,

Chad

Kelly

OK yes a 3 speed with rev.

Orig. engine is a hard to find lawson/tecumseh 5.5hp, but a 4hp kohler will fit just fine but will not be elect. start.

the levers are choke and throttle, and they are mounted on the back of the hood the tank mounts under the front of the hood.

I don't think they have parking brakes.

yes the lever on the left is a implement lift arm.

Yes they can get burned easier, just plain the hot engine is right there, and if the correct guards are not installed it will be even easier.

pumper.atv

:wh:

On the old mid mounted ones, burns aren't really a problem but the light front ends can contribute to very easy wheelies. :USA: As for a motor, orig motors can be hard to find, but not impossible. 3 forward and 1 reverse. If you are looking to buy a round hood but not too worried bout exact model, look for a late 60s, as they are usually cheaper, easier to find, more parts and the front end stays down. What ever direction you go, you can't go wrong with a :) . There are people here that can answer almost anything. :)

:)

Zaemo

Thanks gents,

Found a member here with many tractors. I may take a trip to see him so I can drive some different models and decide which one is right for me. Looking forward to learning more about these tractors.

Chad

Duff

:USA: , Chad!

You're at the right place to learn everything there is to know about one of the best tractors ever made!

Duff :)