Sign in to follow this  
Buzz

Overseeding lawn

Buzz

I mowed, thatched, and aerated my front yard today and will be spreading seed tomorrow. What type fertilizer should I apply and how long should I wait before I apply it? I haven't bought the seed yet, any suggestions? The lawn is mostly full sun and has very little foot traffic.

GlenPettit

The 'Big Box' stores have a "New Lawn" fertilizer that is safe for use when right while you are seeding, it's a slow-release, (also 'Miliorganite' fertilizer can also be used, but has lower fertilizer value). If you have weeds, you can also use some weed/crab-grass killers just before seeding, but read directions first to see which one. Consider Lime and Gypsum now also, if your soil needs them.

Good Luck, Glen

W9JAB

Thatched, and aerated is a good start. I learned from a landscaper to put down your seed just before the snow falls. The reason is the in the winter the ground freezes and heaves up, then in the spring it goes back down, this helps the seed make better ground contact. The better the ground contact the better chance for germination. Seed will not sprout until the ground temp. gets to 50 deg. F. after the seed sprouts use 1/2 the recommended amount of fertilizer. Then about six weeks later lay down the other half. This has been working for me for years. I'm on my third lawn restoring, Each time I move I started with a weed patch and left a lawn that rivals a sod job.

Jim_M

Be careful with the crab grass preventer. Some of them will prevent your grass seed from germinating.

Raider

One of the crabgrass preventers safe for new lawns is Siduron. You'd have to look for it in the ingredients in the starter fertilizers.

I usually do some overseeding every year either Spring or Fall in one area or another. I've tried sowing before snow and it makes sense if you can time it just right but the weather doesn't always cooperate, you can end up with no snow until after the ground is frozen solid (at least this far North) or have the snow melt off and leave the ground bare for weeks on end which exposes the seed to the dry Winter air and hungry birds.

My favorite times are after the first Spring heat wave during a wet stretch of weather or right about now while the ground is still warm but rain becomes a little more reliable than it is during Summer.

I just use a slow release nitrogen to feed new grass and haven't burned any yet. Milorganite has been my choice lately as it is a slow release nitrogen and phosphorus with no potash which I have determined is what my lawn needs after doing some soil tests. Milorganite seems pretty effective at repelling moles in my lawn also so that's a side benefit. The stuff stinks though and there is a bit of controversy over the product's ingredients and safety (like most things I suppose).

dcrage

Duff

You reallly do want to read the label closely on any weed killer you put down when reseeding -- The fact that a given herbicide is safe on established lawns does NOT mean it is safe for seeds and newly sprouted grass

Also, to the best of my knowledge, any crabgrass treatment would be a waste at this time of year -- All of the products that I am aware of don't have the residual activity that you would need to stop crab grass germination next year, and they also don't work on existing crabgrass at this time of year (My knowledge is based on the best practice as of 10 years ago, maybe there is something new out there) -- I would suspect that crabgrass has already gone to seed for this year, especially up where you live

Hell, a more basic question would be is crabgrass even a problem in NH???

dcrage

Sorry Buzz

That last reply was meant for you -- I got mixed up on the people with 4 letter names on this board -- Again sorry for my oversight

And the last line of that reply should have been "Is crabgrass a problem in NJ" -- But I think I know the answer there

Butch

Buzz you shoulda seeded last month. Depending on the kind and variety of seed you use yo need 70 degree days for it to germinate.

I use a seed that I get mail order from Oregon. It's not cheap. But myself I would seed, use Scotts Fall fertilizer and lime. I have tried going organic and have tried other fertilizers. I only like Scotts. Don't forget that you must water if you want good germination results. With the cool nights and dew you don't need much water.

Duff

That last reply was meant for you -- I got mixed up on the people with 4 letter names on this board ......

No problem - I thought it was funny! :USA:

BTW, I concur with Butch - I've had the best luck with Scott's products. As to when to seed - this thread is giving me some good info to try - thanks, folks!

~Duff :)

specialwheelhorse

When we wanted a good crop of hay in our rotation process on the farm early spring when there was just a

scattered thin crust of frozen mud and ice we broadcast the seed. During thaw the seed could not have been

planted better. Never failed ! Hi BUZZ Jim Rodgers in warm sunny Texas 76 here tomorrow