Sign in to follow this  
wh1257

looks this never seen before????

wh1257

here is a wheel horse it looks the number c-171

is this a prototype huh??????????????????????????

wheelhorsec-171.jpg

TT

Short version (not sure how accurate though):

At the time this model was to be built, the KT-17 Kohler twin wasn't quite ready yet, so Wheel Horse installed the 16hp opposed twin Briggs & Stratton engines and called them C-161 twins. (available in both automatic and 8 speeds)

C-Series14

TT is correct. That is what I heard from Ed Cole...

To add, I just looked at it again and see it had the fiberglass hood. I thought Ed told me that because of the size of the B&S engine, a new hood was needed BUT, I am not sure now because of the pic...

mavfreak

that's so cool! Where did you locate this? So that means my C161 would've or could've had a kohler and was called a C171. did any make production? And has anyone made a "C" into this?

I wonder if the kohler and the briggs were close in size

C-Series14

that's so cool! Where did you locate this? So that means my C161 would've or could've had a kohler and was called a C171. did any make production? And has anyone made a "C" into this?

I wonder if the kohler and the briggs were close in size

None made production that I know of. I am curious too. I will have to measure my C-175 Twin and C-161 Twin and see...

TT

I'm not sure if anyone else caught this yet, but the "C-171" tractor pictured above already has the B&S twin-cylinder engine installed. :)

The Kohler and the Briggs are very close in size, so little - if any - changes would have been needed.

C-Series14

I'm not sure if anyone else caught this yet, but the "C-171" tractor pictured above already has the B&S twin-cylinder engine installed. :)

The Kohler and the Briggs are very close in size, so little - if any - changes would have been needed.

Well, I thought something looked weird. I have a brochure showing the C-161 Twin WITH the B&S ( I assume) and the engine looks just like this one. My B&S has a shroud that has a completely different screen, mine covers the whole shroud.

Good eye Terry...

sorekiwi

Good eye Terry...

Eagle eye!

TT

The screens never really changed either:

1982GT1642003.jpg

GT184810-25-09010.jpg

bo dawg

From what I've been told and much like the one I own (as pictured in my avatar) Since Kohler missed the dead line, WH went with the B&S engine and made a fiberglass hood with the notched out place for the exhaust since the engine or exhaust was bigger than the Kohler.

In that photo you can see the notch. They probably used the materials that was already made up like the decals. :)

mavfreak

does that screen cover the metal housing or is the flywheel under the screen? Mine doesn't have a screen just a metal housing but my flywheel lacks the drill and taped holes for the screen that bolts to it like every other briggs twin I've seen

And if that be the case are these hard to come by?

TT

The screen bolts over the entire blower housing.

Due to the close proximity of the operator's foot on the pedal, a rotating screen (one bolted to the flywheel) would have been a safety issue.

The screen for the WorkHorse twins is B&S p/n 393330 and was still available new the last time I checked. (expensive though)

You might luck out and find a used one if you post a "wanted" ad in the classifieds. :)

mavfreak

looking in the picture gallery the '78 c161 has the screen on the flywheel only? :)

that's off the wheel horse sales brochure

mavfreak

I have found several more pictures in searches on other sights and some had screen on the outside some have screens on the flywheel. maybe an optoin or something

TT

that's off the wheel horse sales brochure

I'm pretty sure that's either an altered image / artist's rendering (think "photoshopped", but old school :) ) or it's a prototype / experimental unit.

Notice the lack of hood latches, etc.