Sign in to follow this  
squonk

Something else I learned

squonk

Continuing on with my saga of my 704 not running below 1/2 tank,(much thanks to WH Nut and SOI on leading me in the right direction, I cleaned my fuel strainer and got it running. But it still lacked some power and it was running very erratic. In my Power King group, someone suggested that not all fuel filters are suited for gravity feed. I have a clear Napa 3011 filter after the strainer. It works great on my 210-H with a Briggs but the tank is much higher than the carb. I removed the filter on the Kohler and now it purrs. The filter is clean and you can blow through it easily but for some reason it was slowing the flow just enough.

TT

someone suggested that not all fuel filters are suited for gravity feed

They are absolutely correct!

But..... even though the Kohler does have a fuel pump, it's old and not of the best design - so it could be having a hard time pulling fuel through the filter. (mechanical pumps usually don't seem to mind the "pleated paper" style of filter)

My preference is the #298090S small "pancake" strainer (150 micron) used on a bajillion Briggs and Stratton gravity-fed engines. They're even red!

411KzNm3k8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg