Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

K181 Smoker

Coadster32

I was going to leave my 854 alone, but it started smoking a bit more than usual. I figured, I'd take the head off, relap the valves, gap them correctly, and clean out the breather. I also figured, I'd check the bore while the head was off. The thing ran nice and smooth, without any noises what so ever. I figure the lower end is good, wrist pin, piston to bore, etc. The bore should be 2.938, and measures almost perfectly down the shoot with almost no out-of-round to speak of. The cylider doesn't show any wear, but doesn't show the cross-hatches as I'd like. After reading Mica's post, I am debating if I should quick hone, and re-ring it, or leave it alone, and just do the valves and breather. I will be away on vacation for a week, and could have the parts waitnd for me when I get back. Thoughts?

VinsRJ

If your plan is to keep the unit for an extented period of time, re-ring it.

MaineDad

Chris,

You could do the valves, static time the engine, new plug, and then possibly a carb clean. See how that runs and make a decision later. Sounds like the cylinder is in good shape...

WH nut

If you are going to re ring, Id put a rod and piston in it while in at it. I have seen rods break after a ring job

MalMac

I agree with WH nut. If your going to tear it down, go ahead and put a new rod and piston in it. While your at it check the measure the crank. Don't want to put a new rod on an out of round crank. Also check your valve guides, they get worn and can cause all kinds of oil problems. Like WH nut said, I have seen rods break after ring jobs. Engines can be like hydraulic hoses sometimes. Replace one and the next weakest one on down the line breaks. I am not saying that will happen, just a good chance it will. Kinda like "Pay me now or Pay me later" type of thing.

Coadster32

Well, I am in Canada right now. I did order a new set of rings, and I already have a honer to my disposal. I decided for the $20, I'd just do it. I'll of course check out the other specs when I get it all torn down. It made absolutely no noise before, so I'm thinking that all of this should check out well. Untill then, let the water roar over the falls!