Sign in to follow this  
formariz

RJ hood weight

formariz

Does anyone know how the hood weight was intended to be secured in place?

Brrly1

Cas, Ok from what I have seen or have been told is that people who have installed these hood weights have done one of two things. 1. They have taken and drilled a pair of holes about 3/4 of the way up the hood and have inserted a bar across the back side of the weight. 2. Teh other method that I have heard about is inserting the weight in the hood and placing a tab at the bottom of the weight, then drilling a hole into the frame and threading the hole and placing the tab with a bolt installed in the hole. Thats all I know about but I can check with a friend and see what he says. I am hoping we get some final pictures. I can get some pictures tomorrow of a 56rj that had a hood weight placed in the front of it. I believe the pair of holes were about three to four inches from where the top of the hood came across. Talk to you soon. See Ya, Bye, Burly :)

:USA:

formariz

Thanks John.If you can get those photos I would really appreciate it.

I still can't get over how heavy this thing is. I was in the backyard earlier today and heard a big 'thump" in the front of the house and knew the weight had arrived.Walked around to the front of the house to still hear the FedEx guy muttering some obscenities as he walked away.

Brrly1

Cas, there is no doubt in my mind! You should of seen the face on the gal that took the order when she went to move it. I offered to move it for her but said she had help in the back that would take care of it. I guess I can put it here . Fedex will ship up to a150lbs and the price is very comparable to UPS. The thing about Fedex is that there are places where you can drop things off on the weekend and they go out the following Monday which in this case it helped out tremendously because it has been very busy around here doing one thing or another.

See Ya, Bye Burly :)

FEDEX 1 , UPS 0

Brrly1

Cas, As I said I got those pictures for you today but I didn't get them until I got back to the shop this evening from Detroit. I took camera with me so I could stop out to storage. At any rate it looks like the holes were drilled about an 1 3/4" down from the top of the hood. At the bottom of the weight it looks like two brackets were used to keep the weight in place with the holes being drilled about 4" apart.

So if you need anything else just let me know. I will try and help where ever I can. See Ya, Bye Burly :)

DSC04006.jpg

DSC04009.jpg

wallfish

This is probably the only good reason to drill holes in a RJ hood.

Wish I had one of those cast weights

formariz

Thanks John. That is simple.However now having this anchor in front of me, I can see why there aren't too many of them around.

First it is not that easy too install.You can't slip it in with the tank in place, it will not fit and your back will not take that kind of stress in that position. I also think that eventually if its supported at all by the hood itself specially at the top it will eventually destroy that hood.

Although I am not going to go that route the best way would be to substitute the front part of the hood with the weight making it permanent, and the top of the hood removable. :) Yes I can hear the purist crowd cursing already. I have come up with another way to "rig it in there" and have it real stiff in its intended area only supported by the frame from top to bottom.

As soon as my back recuperates I will start with it and post some photos.

Brrly1

Cas, Have you thought about getting another hood that you could use while out thrashing around and keep that hood persay for shows? Its only an idea, I thought I would throw that one out there. Question, Do you think this will keep the front end on the ground?

See Ya, Bye Burly :)

formariz

The hood that I have is not in pristine condition anyway.It gas a few holes that rusted through on the bottom while it was in the mud prior to me getting it.I left them since it is part of the tractors character anyway. This weight is definitely going to keep it on the ground. Because of the weight distribution, the "ball burners" never really steer well since the front wheels are always just about to lose contact so accurate, safe steering will be the most notable difference.

I was at Steam-O-Rama yesterday and did a few runs up the steep muddy hill. No problem whatsoever with traction or power but did have to lean forward all the time just to be able to go where the wheels were turned.

That may be another fun idea for garden tractor owners, hill climbing.

BPjunk

Cas,

It was good to see you on saturday.

The front mounted hood weight is a neat option to have BUT not one I would to to have on a early RJ hood. The weight worked well when the RJ series was new but after a few decades when the hood metal wore thin ..... ti si just too much weight for the hood to support. I believe some were tied with heavy gauge wire through holes the front of the hood.

The same is true with the cast iron wheel weights, if used on original most likely dry rotted tires the tires will crack more and blow out.

Wild Bill

formariz

Hey Bill

Great to see and speak to you there. As I drove in I though I recognized the tractor pull announcers voice.It looks like in a couple more years Wheel Horse will be the majority in garden tractors.

This weight would definitely be the end of many hoods.My hood is nothing special and it definitely would not hold it for long, so there no point in going that route. I have a couple of different ideas for it.I will keep posting as it progresses.