Sign in to follow this  
tommy3horse

K341 rebuild

tommy3horse

Hello to all:

I wanted to share a story that started with the purchase of a 1978 C-161 auto with a hyd. lift from RS member barns1.

I saw the ad on craigs list and the accomanying picture. It looked so good, I had to go and at least look. Ok, I bought it right away. The sheet metal was in great shape, and the tractor was overall in great condition. Barns1 said it had a "knock" and needed a complete rebuild. I got it running and heard the noise he spoke of.

I got it home and tore right into it. I pulled and benched the motor and dissambled it. As I pulled the piston and rod out I noticed that the piston was loose on the rod. The pin was worn badly. Probably the "knock" that was noticed. The rod was STD. and looked new and I was puzzled. I mic'd the crank and it was .018 under? Now thats where the knock was!

I broke-down the engine to the bare block and noticed that under the bearing cover was primed gray, like a factory replacement. I began the mic the cylinder. It was .001 out of round and no wear at all. I kinda pieced together the what might have occured to the PO before barns1.

It must have threw a rod and cracked the block beyond repair and a new block was obtained from Kohler. Then a new aftermarket rod was purchased. The original STD piston and pin was used and quickly re-assembled without tending to the crank, piston or pin. :)

I am having the crank ground and have ordered a Kohler piston , rod and rings...all STD.

I should have it up and running in a week or so. Just goes to show that attention to detail and careful measurements go a long way to insure that your motor will last many years to come.

I learn something new everytime I open-up a Kohler. And, yes, I am leaving the balance gears OUT. :wh:

Tom

:USA:

rmaynard

I mic'd the crank and it was .018 under? Now thats where the knock was!

I am having the crank ground and have ordered a Kohler piston , rod and rings...all STD.

Tom,

Am I missing something here? You said that the crank pin measured at .018 under. If you are having it ground, I assume it's going to .020 under.

You say you are using a new STD rod. Shouldn't it be a .020 under, and doesn't Kohler limit their rods to .010 under? :)

Bob

TT

You can go to .030" under on the rod journal IF the rod is machined for a bearing insert. I'm not so sure this is the case here though????? :)

Perhaps he's having the rod journal welded up & reground to "STD" diameter? :USA:

tommy3horse

Hello Bob:

My bad, the rod will be ground to .020 under and a new Kohler .020 rod will be ordered by the machine shop doing the work, based on what he ends-up with. He (the machinist) stated that he would order the proper rod after he is done grinding the crank and also said that an insert may be necessary. :)

Thanks for pointing that out, i may have confused some. Detailed rebuilding is much different than detailed writing :wh:

Tom

:USA:

tbbahner

Let me know where he gets that .020 rod. I need one for a K181 that is past what I thought was the .010 limit. Knocks like crazy

Tom B