Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Valve Adjustment Today

MaineDad

So I have been noticing that my C-120 was running a bit rich and blowing some black smoke. So I bought all new breather gaskets and materials so I could work on the valves. Took the carb off then removed the breather. The breather was packed in with gunky oil - what a mess! Once it was all cleaned out, I set the engine to TDC and checked the valve clearance. The exhaust valve was .018" which falls within the Kohler .017 to .019 recommended range so I left it alone. The intake valve on the other hand had ZERO clearance! I am surprised it ran. I set the clearance to .009 which is in the middle of the recommended .008 to .010 range.

Put in all of the new breather gaskets, filter etc. Put the carb back on and fired it up. It ran amazing! I tilled two of my gardens and my neighbor's garden and this did not miss a beat. There was no black smoke and the spark plug was clean. Got to love how these old Kohlers run!

Coadster32

Nice!!! :)

dgoyette

Nice work Micah. Glad you got the problem solved with a valve adjustment and breather cleaning. I bet that Kohler sounds great!

Kelly

It's amazing how well the kohler's can run and be out of tune, I've even fixed rod knox's by setting the valves :)