Sign in to follow this  
Raider 12

1967 877 fluid change

Raider 12

Hey, I just got a sad looking 877. This is my first hydro. It does seem to move on level ground but it slows down and pulls the engine down when going up hill. I am about to go get the stuff to change the fluid and filter and see if that helps any. My question would be how much ATF should it hold and the parts guy is telling me the filter is short compared to what I am describing to him on the phone. The filter that is on it looks like its been on it forever (no Id on the filter) and is long, longer than lets say a FL-1-A Motorcraft oil filter or a PH-8-A.

So if this thing don't work out I am going to part it out I guess. It came with a push blade which is what I really wanted anyway. Thanks for the help. :)

HankB

I'm pretty sure you don't want to use an automotive oil filter. Your lawn equipment shop or online parts store should probably be able to provide the correct filter.

You'll also want the correct fluid. I'm pretty sure that the older ones use ATF unless a previous owner has converted it. You should look up the correct ATF.

You say "slows down and pulls the engine down when going up hill." That sounds like the trans is working fine and the engine is losing power, no? If the engine maintained speed and the tractor slowed, that could indicate a problem with the trans. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding your description.

-hank

kajamo240

My B-100 takes just normal 10W-30 oil. I know that MikesRJ has a really nice website setup with a whole bunch of manuals. You might be able to find it there. The link to the site is below.

Mywheelhorse.com

HankB

My B-100 takes just normal 10W-30 oil.

Wheel Horse switched from ATF to engine oil in (IIRC) '73.

You can switch older tractors to engine oil but you must purge all of the ATF from the system. WH has published a service bulletin for this but I have not looked it up since my Hydro uses engine oil too. If I were dealing with an older tractor that had pressure problems, I'd probably give engine oil a try since it probably holds pressure better when warm.

best,

hank

Raider 12

I'm pretty sure you don't want to use an automotive oil filter. Your lawn equipment shop or online parts store should probably be able to provide the correct filter.

You'll also want the correct fluid. I'm pretty sure that the older ones use ATF unless a previous owner has converted it. You should look up the correct ATF.

You say "slows down and pulls the engine down when going up hill." That sounds like the trans is working fine and the engine is losing power, no? If the engine maintained speed and the tractor slowed, that could indicate a problem with the trans. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding your description.

-hank

I just got the fluid and filter changed and took it out for a spin. It may seem a little better but it does bog the engine down a lot when pulling my hill. Just guesing with out a tack from 3600 rpm down to 12-1500 rpm and if you try with it not WOT then it will die. So what do ya think tranny OK but maybe some engine/carb/governor work?

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh: I use 10/w30 and a W/Horse filter also check your tow valve I use it all the way in with a 1/2" wrench to the right if standing in the back of the tractor. left if looking to the back. play around with the valve until u are happy with the complete motion of the tractor. Gary B..................

HankB

I just got the fluid and filter changed and took it out for a spin. It may seem a little better but it does bog the engine down a lot when pulling my hill. Just guesing with out a tack from 3600 rpm down to 12-1500 rpm and if you try with it not WOT then it will die. So what do ya think tranny OK but maybe some engine/carb/governor work?

Sounds like the engine is not delivering the power you need. I think you're heading in the right direction with carb/governor but I would not rule out ignition. Worn points could be affecting timing.

Good to hear that the trans is OK.

-hank

B-8074

Just throwing this out there, but is the belt tensioner/idlerpulley engaged? The tractor will move when it's disengaged on the flat but will slow down on an incline.

Just a thought.

Raider 12

Just throwing this out there, but is the belt tensioner/idlerpulley engaged? The tractor will move when it's disengaged on the flat but will slow down on an incline.

Just a thought.

Yeah I had the side cover off of it and had robbed the drive belt from my Lawn Ranger which was too short to work like its supposed to. The tensioner pully is not involved at this point. If that was the case I don't think the engine would bogg down so much... or would it? As I said in my first post this is my first WH hydro and I am learning. I will have to give it some thought. All I plan on doing is push snow (if we get any more this year)or maybe some dirt. I don't have a deck for it so it is what it is.

tommy3horse

Hello Raider:

Have you checked the condition of the drive belt? My Charger 12 was showing simular symptoms and it turned-out to to be a streched drive belt.

Good luck!

Tom

:)