Sign in to follow this  
B-8074

Filling your tires for added weight

B-8074

Here is an easy way ti fill your tires with winsheild washer fluid for extra traction.

Why washer fluid you say? Well it weights the same as water and it won't damage the rim. Also it won't freeze and if you spring a leak you won't have to worry about enviromental damage. And the standard blue washer fluid is good to -20 degrees F.

1. I used a sandblasting pressure pot, but anything that will hold 15 to 20 PSI will do. You could even use an old air commressor tank. First I put a shut off valve on the bottom and used the neccessary pipe fittings to get the size of a standard gardenhose.

5018456984_6c4d17e5a4_b.jpg

5018457984_4209faf7ec_b.jpg

2. Hooked up the hose to the tank and put the valve stem to hose adapter on the other end of the hose. You will need to remove the needle valve from the valve stem. The adapter for the valve stem to garden hose was picked up at Tractor supply.

5018457610_40d2b7a0e4_b.jpg

5017853259_b3b5a1fba3_b.jpg

3. Add the washer fluid to the tank. The size of the tire will determine the number of gallons to put in the tank. A 23x8.50-12 can hold atleast 5 gallons at 8lbs. a gallon will give you 40 lbs. of weight and you can still add air so you have a nice ride. Then screw the adapter to the valve stem, set the output pressure of your compressor to 15psi and hook your air line to the tank. Once the tank get some pressure built up, open the shut off valve at the bottom of your tank and let it flow. That's about it when then tank is empty disconnect the hose and put the valve needle back in the stem and add some air and your done.

This is my first tutorial so if anyone has any questions just ask. I'm better at doing something than explaining it. :) Thanks for checking it . :USA: :wh:

300zx

Looks like a great idea. When I took mine to be filled locally, they popped the bead on one side, poured in the antifreeze, then aired it back up. Popping the bead isn't easy for a diyer, so your idea is better for me.

KC9KAS

I would use a tank that IS NOT on my compressor, or my sand blaster. Really don't want the moisture in either one!

B-8074

I don't use the the blaster anymore, if I did I definatly wouldn't use it for this. I metioned the compressor tank because someone might have one from a broken compressor.

But that is a good point.

Save Old Iron

Well done sir.

Great pics, you have raised the bar for all of us.

:) :USA:

KC9KAS

OK, glad you don't use the blaster.

I was thinking of an old freon tank or something like that. The fluid could come out the bottom, and air in on top, as the air would rise to the top of the water anyway.

The tank would take some modification, but we are talking very low pressure, so I wouldn't be concerned about the tank.

oldredrider

If a tank is not readily available, why not use a hand drill pump? It could easily be used to pump ballast from a 5 gallon bucket.

Polaris2007

Maybe a dumb question, but when you break the bead to pour the liquid in, you are also letting the air that is in the tire at atmospheric pressure out of the tire as the liquid displaces it. Using your method, how does the air get out as the liquid goes in???

B-8074

The adapter that screws to the valve stem has a release valve on the side. See the pic of it by its self. As for the drill pump I didn't have one to try. I know you need some pressure to force it throught the valve stem. Regular water pressure in the garden hose does work.

As for the tank, that is how the pressure pot works. Air goes in at the top and the fluid goes out the bottom.

5017852683_a08c3642e0_b.jpg

HankB

I was thinking of an old freon tank or something like that.

:)

Danger Will Robinson

Be very sure that any tank you choose for this is designed to handle the pressure from your compressor or you could be building a bomb. I do not think that freon and propane tanks can handle that kind of pressure.

Just sayin...

I filled some tires using the pop the bead technique. I also used RV antifreeze because I thought that windshield washer antifreeze was toxic. The stuff I have is clearly labeled with a skull and crossbones and "DANGER POISON."

best,

hank

mavfreak

I used a bottle for slime. Takes forever but worked very well.

Side note if there is slime in the tire you are filling with fluid its a real big mess

Wheel Horse Fan

This is a great thread. I'd like to hear (or see) if there are other methods people use.

Leveraging from the bottle of slime idea, I wonder if you could use the cap from the bottle and screw that onto a bigger bottle or even the windshield washer bottle?

MRM

a refrigerant tank ( not Freon, Freon is technically a brand name) can hold just about any psi you could put in it from a air comp. The newer Ref tanks can't be

pressurized through the valve becauce they use a check type valve to keep us from useing them for air tanks. I have one i cut a 2" hole in the top and weld a pipe nip to it so it can be filled with oil or what ever else and and then cap it. Also drilled a smaller hole and put a tire valve stem in it so i could pressurize it.

It only needs a few lbs of air to push the oil out, It works great with the 90Wgear

oil to fill the rear ends for the big tractors.

HankB

a refrigerant tank ( not Freon, Freon is technically a brand name) can hold just about any psi you could put in it from a air comp. The newer Ref tanks can't be

pressurized through the valve becauce they use a check type valve to keep us from useing them for air tanks. I have one i cut a 2" hole in the top and weld a pipe nip to it so it can be filled with oil or what ever else and and then cap it. Also drilled a smaller hole and put a tire valve stem in it so i could pressurize it.

I stand corrected.

I did some googling and found that propane tanks are built to withstand more pressure than a typical home compressor. The same is true of refrigerant tanks.

I do know that refillable propane tanks must be recertified periodically. I would infer from that that an old rusty tank may no longer hold the same pressure as a new tank.

thanks,

hank

Speedbump

My 312 uses just about 6 gal per tire (I also us RV Antifreeze) with enough air after for the ride. The Antifreeze is saved and used year after year (about 5 years now).

But, I have TUBES in the old tires.

After removing the core it does make it faster if I suck some air out to colapse the tube a little.

I have the hose attached to a bucket and hold the bucket about 3 feet higher than the tire (lying flat on the ground) and let gravity do the job. You do have to burp the tube stem as air creeps into the tire between the tube but, it works.

It does take a couple of hours and I usually schedule it for when I have other jobs to do and just watch it as I go about the chores.

In spring, I reverse it and hold the tire higher than the bucket and again, let nature take it's course.

Slow - but inexpensive. it is also a great time to do the under carriage work with the tires off.

I very much like the idea of using an old tank, especially as it wold be a lot quicker.

Thanks for the idea.

T-Mo

Here is an easy way ti fill your tires with winsheild washer fluid for extra traction.

Why washer fluid you say? Well it weights the same as water and it won't damage the rim. Also it won't freeze and if you spring a leak you won't have to worry about enviromental damage. And the standard blue washer fluid is good to -20 degrees F.

Windshield washer fluid IS toxic and is harmful to the environment and to animals. Extra care must be given when using and disposing of it. Also, there is some debate on it's corrosive qualities - it may take time, but it may cause the rims to rust from the inside. The best bet would be to use beet juice or Rim Guard. And to use tubes. Besides windshield washer fluid, as you say, is only good to -20, while beet juice is good to -35. And beet juice weighs more than windshield washer fluid.

larryandnell

I have used windshield washer fluid,antifreeze and just plain water all with inner tubes installed. I use a old 30 pound propane tank to install the washer fluid or antifreeze. I bought the filling adapter from Miller tire that adapts a garden hose to the valve stem. Other farm stores handle them also. They work great and they have a air bleeder on them. It takes less than 5 minutes to fill a 23 10.50 12 up to the valve stem. They weigh around 30 pounds empty and around 80 when filled to the stem. I have used plain water in my pulling tractor tires for around 10 years now with no problems as long as you just fill them up to the valve stem. I then add around 4 psi.of air. I wouldnt recommend it in a tractor you use in the winter though as they would ride roughly. Yes they will freeze solidly but as long as there is room for the water to expand it dont seem to hurt anything.