Sign in to follow this  
HankB

36MS01 mower deck

HankB

This came with my tractor.

DSC_2634-PP.JPG

DSC_2632-PP.JPG

As near as I can tell from looking it up, it is a 1980 model. Since the tractor is an '85, it was either swapped from an older tractor or was sitting around the dealer's store room for a long time. Or I don't have the correct data of manufacture.

I took it off yesterday to check out the blades. I found that the belt only turned the center pulley. (I guess it's really a 12" deck. :) ) The other two pulleys felt pretty stiff.

This deck has a complete cover over the belt between the blade pulleys so you cannot seethe gear on top. I suppose the belt is broken. The outer blades felt pretty stiff. I guess I may soon be looking for spindle bearings for this. I wonder if the spindles on an older deck (circa 1970) would interchange.

Any wisdom on proceeding with this is appreciated.

thanks,

hank

Duff

Actually, Hank, according to the model number 65-36MS01 is a 1976 deck. If the tractor is an '85, then this was likely something a PO picked up somewhere along the line. :USA:

Looking at the IPL on the Toro site, I would agree the belt driving the two outer spindles is likely broken. If they feel stiff, it is possible the broken belt is jammed up between the outer pulleys and the cover. It is also possible if the unit has sat unused for a length of time that the spindle bearings may just be gunked up with dried out grease. The IPL doesn't show any grease fittings that I can see.

I'd start by pulling off the belt cover, then attack the spindles individually to see how freely they turn. Stiff may not be bad, but if it is accompanied by any grinding or grating, then the issue is more serious. Either way, you'll probably have to break them down to check and lubricate them properly. I don't know what spindles interchange with which decks -someone here will, though!

Duff :)

HankB

Here's what I found under the cover. The belt was shredded. After turning the outer spindles enough to get the blades off and have a go at the pulleys, they had freed up a bit. They're still not silky smooth, but I think they're OK for occasional use. The blades actually looked pretty good. That leaves me wondering why the PO had another set of blades for it. But he told me he didn't mow with it anyway. His parents had given it to him and he just used it to pull his kids on their sled in winter.

Here's the blade end of the spindle:

DSC_2644-PP.JPG

and the pulley:

DSC_2646-PP.JPG

I fiddled a bit trying to get the pulleys off but found they would bend before they would move. Unless someone can suggest a way to get them off easily w/out destroying them, my inclination is to leave them be. I'll only use this for mowing occasionally. At the least, the deck shell itself is pretty sound. It doesn't seem to suffer from the rust through that other decks have experienced. It would be nice to lube those bearings though. But if they've already started rusting, their days are numbered anyway.

-hank

racinfool40

Hankb if you decide to mess wiyh the spindles and pulleys I have 2 of these deck that are sitting in the shed, decks have been rudly patched by PO but got them in a package deal. If you need spindles or pulleys let me know someone should get some use out of them......MIKE....

WH854

HankB I had an old 36 inch mower on my 854 tractor that had that style of spindles and blades.What I did was use PB Blaster on the pullys,left them sit for a day or two.Put the bolt and washer back on, I left the bolt a little loose, brased the under side of deck on something solid, put a piece of hard wood,on the bolt head,used a big hammer and whacked it real hard a few times. It moved, so I loosend the bolt a couple of turns whacked it again,kept doing that till I could take the pully of by hand.There is not many pieces to one of that style spindle. Hope you have good luck with the deck. :)

Chas :USA:

PS My bearing came out through the bottom with the Double D part the blade fasten to.

Lane Ranger

Hank:

I have a similar aged deck and a 36 and I take the cup and blade off the underneath first. Turn it over with the pulley side down. Not sure from the photos if your pulleys and spindels have the woodruff key in it like some of these do but assuming it does not...

I would spray PB Blaster on it and you will hopefully be as surprised as I was when the spindel and pulley just fell out ! I am a firm believer in PB Blaster.

Here are two photos of the side discharge 36 inch deck I redid and replaced all three spindels with the Por-15 black rust proff coating on it:

100_8157.jpg

100_8156.jpg

:)

HankB

Thanks, guys, for the tips. I took a look at the IPL and now have a better idea what I'm dealing with. I also looked up the bearings and see that they're available for about $25 each on ebay.

I am soaking with PB-Blaster at the moment. I like that stuff too. What I apparently need to do is soak the blade support too. It looks like I can put a puller on that and probably get it off without too much drama.

Then what? Going back to the IPL, it looks like the spindle bearing cartridge (#6) slides into the spindle housing (#2) and is held in place when bolted to the deck. Then the pulley and blade holder are mounted to the ends of the spindle bearing, right?

Next question... If I get the spindle bearing cartridge out, is there going to be any way to service it?

thanks,

hank

PS: That's a pretty nice looking deck Lane. I happen to have an extra blade... :)

SAM58

I have two of this type deck, and replaced all the bearing in both this summer.

Mine are around 1972 year models.

You have to drive them out of the housing, or press them out.

Notice also that one end of the shaft is a little longer than the other.

If you don't put them back the same way, everthing will not line up.

(belt pulleys - blades) there is a grove cut around one end, but I don't remember if it is top or bottom.

You can use a Gates A-75 belt for the deck which is real common.

When you unbolt the spindle housing from the deck, soak them with a good penitrating fluid. to keep from damaging them put an old bolt into the threads.

Otherwise it will flaten out the end of the bearing.... dosen't matter I guess since you are replacing them anyway.

It's a pretty easy fix...

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=toro

PS these are sealed bearings so just replace the belt and try it.

If you hear a growling noise, order 3 new bearing assy, about a 2 hour repair.

The bearing Number 8390

Model number of decks that have this configuation spindles,

5-7365 RD

5-0600 RD

5-0710 RD

5-7366 SD

Lane Ranger

The spindle bearing will be toast when you get it out if the seals are bad and the bearing turns hard. I use a nice bench vice and set the removed bearing and housing in it. I use some PB blaster and spray it around the bearing to soak into the housing. Let it sit for an hour or two.

The bearing will only come out (and go in) one way as there is a lip on the outside of the housing (the blade and cup side with the two toll pins).

I use a rubber mallet and a small piece of 2x4 or a 1 and 1/2 inch wooden dowell rod to knock the bearing loose and slowly run it out of the bearing housing.

Also when removed clean that housing very good inside with steel wool and I usually grease it before placing a new bearing in the sleeve. I buy the 4 bearing for $84 dollars with no shipping cost on Ebay as that is a very reasonalbe price and my brother and I have six of these 36 inch decks (side and rear discharge) so we can always can use a bearing.

*** Note also that I think this bearing is 1/8 to 1/4 inch longer on one end and I believe the longer side goes up towards the pulley.

I have replaced about 8 of these now so I have found this works pretty well. The rubber mallet can get you started back in the housing and the 2x4 piece can assist with reducing and impact to the bearing.

And I always get grade eight new bolts to replace the old ones as it makes life a lot easier for future maintenance, repair, etc. Does not cost a lot to do it once its off.

SAM58

JUST TO ADD ANOTHER NOTE:

Some of these old decks have cast iron pulleys on them and will chip off if you try to pry them off, others have thin metal and will bend easy.

So be careful how you remove the belt pulleys.

FYI :)

HankB

Thanks again for the tips.

Since the bearings are not serviceable, I'm going to put a belt on, clean up the slider that the tensioner rides on and see how it works. this is going to be a spare mower so I just need to use it enough to keep rigor mortis from setting in.

thanks,

hank