Sign in to follow this  
RPR

314-8 vs C-121

RPR

I got some positive reapnses to my last question, but now have to make a decision. Last night I ran across a 314-8 with plow. Looks very nice, but has almost 1,000 hours. I have been looking at a C-121 with around 700 hours with snowblower. It also looks nice for its age. Any suggestions, or things to be aware of, since I am new to the WH line?

I am hoping to blow snow/ till garden with the tractor I purchase.

I would like to make a decision today as vacation starts tomorrow.

Thanks

RPR

BTW...prices are nearly the same for both outfits. The 312-8 is $100 cheaper, but it does not have the snowblower.

RPR

Sorry...it is a 312-8 not a 314-8

Kelly

They are basicly the same tractor with diff. tin on them, the C-121 would not have had a hour guage so I guess the hours are a guesstiment?? look for leaking axle seals, check the trans fluid, under the seat is a dip stick, it is not uncomon to find water in them, but maybe one is clean, engines that run right with no smoke, if they are about the same after checking them over I'd offer a bit less and go for the one with the blower they cost about $200 for a good one.

kpinnc

The C121 will have the heavier-duty 8 speed transmission with 1 and 1/8th inch axles and an 8-pinion differential.

The 312 will have the lighter duty rear end. It has 1 inch axles and a 4-pinion differential. This is still a very stout transmission.

Unless you plan on very heavy pulling applications, this will not make a difference. The lighter rear end will stand up to plowing or any other "ground engaging" tasks. But the C121 transmission will handle basically anything you throw at it.

Kevin

tgranthamfd

If kept outside by the P.O. the 312 could have more electrical issues than the 121. Seems like they had issues with the molex connectors and some of the component boards, if not taken care of.

gwgdog66

Drive both before you purchase. Pick the one you like best. Be aware though, you may eventually end up with two or more :)

RPR

Well I did buy the 312-8. I want to use the tractor for tilling, and decided the gear drive might be better for that, although I have tilled with hydro's in the past, having no trouble. The 312 was clean, whereas the 121 had rough paint, leaking rear axle, and once in a while I could hear an inner knock. Plus, the 312 was cheaper, with delivery included.

Now, if someone knows of a good snowblower to go on the 312, in or near lower MI, I will be all set.

Thanks for all of the input.

kpinnc

Sorry for the misleading info on trannies. I did not know the 121 was an automatic.

Kevin

WheelHorse_of_course

Plenty of horse in lower MI and upper IN, so keep your eyes open.

If you do not know about www.searchtempest.com you may want to check it out. It allows you to search multiple Craig's lists.

When buying a blower be sure it had the "flag" and lift pole. You can substitute 2x4 for the pole, but the flag is necessary.

Good luck

:USA: :)