Sign in to follow this  
kloe0699

C-175

kloe0699

I finally picked up my first C series. A nice C-175 from rs member jwilbt. My father in law roped me into trailering a car to Virginia with him so I found a horse to pick up on the way back! :wh: We drove across 5 states to in the end pick up a tractor in the state we live in :). It needs some tlc but I am already in love with it! Pics are coming. :USA: Kevin

dgoyette

Congrats - i have one and there is a lot to like about the C-175. Mine is a 1980 and is currently also in need of TLC so looking forward to you future posts.

B-8074

Seems that a few c-175's have been picked up lately. I got mine a week or so ago and love it. They are a beast! Enjoy. :) :USA:

pfrederi

They are a powerful beast. If yours is a Series 1 I would suggest avoiding steep grades. Also keep the engine a bit overfull on oil. I run mine about 1/2" above the full mark. The engine on mine came from my brothers JD 317, is a series one, and has over 2000 hours. Smokes a bit on start up and requires frequent oil add but runs great. (She reminds me of one of my first cars stop in the gas station to check the gas and add some oil :)

B-8074

How steep are you talking? And why the extra oil?

Duff

How steep are you talking? And why the extra oil?

I can't give you the exact number of degrees of slope, but the Series I is, I believe, a splash-lubed engine and too steep a climb will starve the dipper for oil to sling around.

I run the Magnum 12's in my tractors about 3/8" to 1/2" over full because they are splash-lubed and I have a fairly steep bank I climb getting from my house up/down to the lower field behind my house. That little extra in the sump seems to keep them oiled on the hill. Others may have a different opinion, and I am certainly no expert, so I'm open-minded to anything the engine gurus may have to offer on this!

Duff :)

kloe0699

It's good to know that info about the oil. I am pretty sure it is a series I from the posts in the classified section. Here it is.

whpics001.jpg

whpics002.jpg

Wheel Horse Fan

Riding on a slope for a long period will prevent oil from dripping down onto the crank for the connecting rods.

Use a good oil and keep it a little over full and try not to ride on slopes for too long of a period and you will be good.

There are plenty of series 1s still running out there. Maintenance is a bit more important on the series 1.

boovuc

The Series 1 KT "concern" keeps coming up and as I had posted earlier, I saw first hand how mowing a side-hill for ten + years can harm them but has anyone converted a KT to a full synthetic oil? I was thinking that if any Kohler engine deserved the extra protection and longevity of a synthetic, it would be a series 1 KT.

What do you think?

PS.......Sorry for the hijack!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh: Nice C- series Kevin looks like a worker . Gary B........

Wheel Horse Fan

The Series 1 KT "concern" keeps coming up and as I had posted earlier, I saw first hand how mowing a side-hill for ten + years can harm them but has anyone converted a KT to a full synthetic oil? I was thinking that if any Kohler engine deserved the extra protection and longevity of a synthetic, it would be a series 1 KT.

What do you think?

PS.......Sorry for the hijack!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

I just put 15-50 full synthetic in my series 1 to hopefully keep it alive longer since it has some cam gear knock issue. I am working on getting a series II rebuilt to take its place though.

kloe0699

Thanks everyone for the input. I am kinda wondering what I have now a little? In the end it doesn't really matter much, I love it, it's in decent shape and I will make it work... :USA: With some help of course! I don't know alot about wrenching on these critters but I am learning. This beast is alot different than my Raiders. :) Kevin

Carlsbarn

I have a 1983-84 C175-8 . Is that Kolher 17.5 horse different than early C-175s ?

stevebo

No different.

boovuc

I'm going to put synthetic in my KT for the winter season I think. My blower really groans that engine when it's full and throwing. I do love the twins. So smooth verses the K series singles. Especially the Magnums.

Don't wonder about what you have in that KT of yours, Kloe0699! When I bought my early 80's C-175, it had over 700 hours on it and that was back in the early 90's. The hour meter gave up the ghost three years later with 852 hours. That would mean I figure I have over 1500 hours on that motor with only a top-end rebuild in between. I used it hard and I mowed a side hill with it. Just change the oil regularly and keep it slightly over-filled. It will be a sad day if I ever have to part with that tractor.

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

kloe0699

Thanks Boovuc.. I too plan on putting lots of hours on this motor. I had it running good. I changed the gas, adjusted the carb a little, fed it some sea foam and have been running it often. I picked up some engine cleaner cause the raider 12 really needed it. I did the 175 also and got alot of stuff out of the fins. Today I made the 2 hour round trip to the dealer for a hydraulic filter. I went to start it to heat the tranny up and it wouldn't fire..? No spark. Something got wet when I washed the engine? It ran it for almost an hour afterwards. Points, coil, wires? Any thoughts? Thanks, Kevin

gwgdog66

Thanks Boovuc.. I too plan on putting lots of hours on this motor. I had it running good. I changed the gas, adjusted the carb a little, fed it some sea foam and have been running it often. I picked up some engine cleaner cause the raider 12 really needed it. I did the 175 also and got alot of stuff out of the fins. Today I made the 2 hour round trip to the dealer for a hydraulic filter. I went to start it to heat the tranny up and it wouldn't fire..? No spark. Something got wet when I washed the engine? It ran it for almost an hour afterwards. Points, coil, wires? Any thoughts? Thanks, Kevin

I've had this happen to me after washing down and engine. Moisture somehow found it's way into the points cover. Even after running it 2 hours the next day, it had no spark. I pulled the points cover, and s film of whitish looking stuff had developed on the points. I ran a file across them a time or two, and was good to go.

kloe0699
Thanks Boovuc.. I too plan on putting lots of hours on this motor. I had it running good. I changed the gas, adjusted the carb a little, fed it some sea foam and have been running it often. I picked up some engine cleaner cause the raider 12 really needed it. I did the 175 also and got alot of stuff out of the fins. Today I made the 2 hour round trip to the dealer for a hydraulic filter. I went to start it to heat the tranny up and it wouldn't fire..? No spark. Something got wet when I washed the engine? It ran it for almost an hour afterwards.

boovuc

kevin,

Point cover is most likely the culprit. Also check your wires at the coil.