Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Hydro Vs. 8-speed

mattd860

I own two 8-speed WH tractors and have never driven a hydro before. I am interested in picking up a local hydro tractor but don't want to regret it later.

Are there any major weaknesses of the hydro rear end compared to the 8 speed? What should I look for when checking it out?

I plan on using it, not letting it sit around so I need to know if they can hold they're own like the 8 speed has so far for me.

pfrederi

Major weakness is that they are very expensive/difficult to repair. But if they have been well maintained it is unlikely to need repair.

If you buy one make sure you can give it a good work out first. Get it hot then try going up and down steep grades. Should not slow down excessively going up nor speed up going down. Check the tranny fluid for any burned smell or discoloration

mattd860

Thanks - is the tranny fluid similar to automatic tranny fluid found in motor vehicles?

Duff

Thanks - is the tranny fluid similar to automatic tranny fluid found in motor vehicles?

Matt, that depends on the tranny. Some used ATF, others used motor oil, and it is highly advised not to mix and mingle the two!!!!! And that, I'm afraid, is about all I know about :wh: hydro trannies! :USA:

Duff :)

pfrederi

Many of the older Sundstrands used Dexron (ATF) Should be cherry koolaid color and clear.

Newer Sundstrands (and some old ones converted) and the eatons use motor oil 10-30 or 10-40. Again it should be clear and tan colored. Watch out for any milkiness or cloudiness, theyare signs of water

WheelHorse_of_course

Major weakness is that they are very expensive/difficult to repair. But if they have been well maintained it is unlikely to need repair.

If you buy one make sure you can give it a good work out first. Get it hot then try going up and down steep grades. Should not slow down excessively going up nor speed up going down. Check the tranny fluid for any burned smell or discoloration

What he said! And...

Warm it up thoroughly before your ride test. If it has motor oil that means a good 15 minutes running with the trans engaged (e.g. parking brake off). If it has ATF then 5 minutes will warm it up.

Check for leaks. There should be essentially no noise (although noise could simply be a bad belt idler)

Then drive it up and down a few slopes. At the bottom of the slope there will be a lag (hard to describe) which is normal.

Modern Hydros (in general) have a reputation for being light-duty. This is not true of the Sundstrands, they are just as heavy duty as the gear drives. I guess the Eatons too but I think that depends somewhat on the version.

Best of luck - ideally you will find one with the hydraulic lift as well as the Hydro trans!

:USA: :)

B-8074

:) :USA: I just pulled out a group of stumps from a big/huge bush. I used my C175 with an eaton hydryo. Man that was cool, I had both tires laying rubber. At first I thought it wouldn't have enough guts compared to the 8 spd. but I guess I was wrong. The only regret I have is that I didn't have a video camera.

gwgdog66

My brother just picked up a C-145 Auto with the sunstrand. He likes it so well it gets most of the mowing duty at his house now.

Road-Track

I have plowed a 350' drive way and mowed 2 acres for over 20 years with an Easton model 7 Hydro and a Peerless 1320 transaxle. The only problem I have seen so far are the splines on one of the rear axles to beveled gear slipped due to wear. A little welding and good as new. :)

I also haul 1000 lb loads of firewood thru the woods with no problem. I have not used an 8 speed so I can't comment. The Hydro is a real Workhorse!