Sign in to follow this  
toro terror

cam adj on Eaton transaxle

toro terror

:) New to site like it i have a 1995 416H which i purchased new that is getting slower and slower. I can adj. the plate cam for transfering forward and reverse speeds but both quite slow. Have changed oil on schedule, tractor has 350 hrs. on it,has plenty of power. Am i missing another adj. or do i need major axle overhaul?

thanks in advance for any help terror

Duff

:) New to site like it i have a 1995 416H which i purchased new that is getting slower and slower. I can adj. the plate cam for transfering forward and reverse speeds but both quite slow. Have changed oil on schedule, tractor has 350 hrs. on it,has plenty of power. Am i missing another adj. or do i need major axle overhaul?

thanks in advance for any help terror

Terror, please forgive me if I'm asking you a totally stupid question (hydros are not my strong point!), but when you said the oil was changed on schedule, did you mean the tranny oil? If the tranny oil was changed, was the filter changed as well and replaced with a Toro OEM filter?

~Duff

EDIT: Oops! Where are my manners?

:USA:

toro terror

Hey duff thanks for the response changed oil in the tran, Mobil 10-30 with a fram filter. Old oil was not discolored at all with 100 hours on it, nor were the previous changes.Kind of curious the way this came about. About 2 yr. ago i was slowly losing reverse (tractor would hardly move) it was also noticeably slower in forward speed but hadn't lost any power,so i called the local dealer and he told me about the cam plate adj but not to touch it. With him being 50 miles away and probably building a new house, I touched it!As you probably know the adj is sacrificial, it seems we're changing vane positions so i was wondering if there isn't a throw adj that is not that apparent in the cluster that would affect both speeds. Theres more linkage under the cam but hard to get to. Unless you or someone knows something i don't or has encountered the same probem i may be traveling 100 miles and making a few house payments. The tractor works fine and the cam adj allowed me to get some reverse back of course losing some forward speed. At least i can mow but quite slow. Thanks

Any ideas are welcome! Terror

buckrancher

Hey duff thanks for the response changed oil in the tran, Mobil 10-30 with a fram filter. Old oil was not discolored at all with 100 hours on it, nor were the previous changes.Kind of curious the way this came about. About 2 yr. ago i was slowly losing reverse (tractor would hardly move) it was also noticeably slower in forward speed but hadn't lost any power,so i called the local dealer and he told me about the cam plate adj but not to touch it. With him being 50 miles away and probably building a new house, I touched it!As you probably know the adj is sacrificial, it seems we're changing vane positions so i was wondering if there isn't a throw adj that is not that apparent in the cluster that would affect both speeds. Theres more linkage under the cam but hard to get to. Unless you or someone knows something i don't or has encountered the same probem i may be traveling 100 miles and making a few house payments. The tractor works fine and the cam adj allowed me to get some reverse back of course losing some forward speed. At least i can mow but quite slow. Thanks

Any ideas are welcome! Terror

You may have some wore out bushings on the linkage or a loose bolt

are you getting full travel in the slots on the cam plate in both for. & rev. positions

(cam plate adj. is easy for netural position with the two rear wheels off the ground

with the motion lever in the stopped or netural position loosen the cam plate adj. bolt a turn it ether cockwise or counter clockwise so rear wheels do'nt turn )

If you are not getting full travel you will need to start look at all the linkage bushings and adjustments to the motion lever

if you do have full travel of the cam plate the problem is probably internal of the

pump (o-ring or check valve)

Also check the pulley on the pump shaft that the woodruff key is ok and the

set screws are tight ( incase the pulley is slipping on the pump shaft)

Brian :)

Oh and :USA:

toro terror

Thanks Brian, the adj cam bolt has never traveled to the extreme ends of the cam plate(even when new) :) and i've looked and physically checked the linkage (without removing the cam plate)and it doesn't seem to have any play in it.You've given me hope tho. I'm going to remove the cam plate and check that linkage(throw). Maybe they built in a wear adj by using only enough throw when new to attain the 5mph they profess in the ad. I'll let you know. Thanks to both you and duff for the welcome smileys. I love m y Toro and actually any quality tool probably like you guys. Be in touch Terror

HankB

Another thing I would look at is the drive belt. If it is slipping, I could imagine the symptoms you see.

Also I think the FRAM filter is not the correct filter for this application. I would get the WH part or there is a Stens replacement. (I doubt this would be the cause of your problem.)

-hank

toro terror

H :) ey guys thanks to you we solved the problem!!!! this damm toro runs like a deer!!! The problem was that the cam plate was not reaching its entire throw(buck suggested).Adj the throw linkage (from steering column)two turns clockwise at camplate after removing all nuts and sleeves and freeing camplate(easy keep track).Thought adj may be less or more so didn't tighten any thing ,after testing, two turns clockwise(shortened) were perfect, tightened everything down and my TORRO is back!!!Simple adj, should have known. I fly radio-controlled airplanes and these kinds of things are going on all the time.I LOVE IT!!!!!I don't even fly Toros and they are still going on!! TERROR :USA: