Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

For the Love of Christ.... Magnum Coil

Docwheelhorse

Hello All---

the :wh: ^*&(%^($%*$#%*#*%$$#*$^*$* mice :) got into my Magnum 16 and when I went to test run it today to prepare for a storm tonight I had no spark. Well I pulled the cover off and found this---I remember seeing someone post a large thread about replacing the plug wire on these coils. Wellllllllllll does anybody know who that was and would that person like to make a few bucks off of me repairing my coil?? :USA:

0916101859.jpg

Tony

Save Old Iron

Tony,

I would be happy to help but shipping to and from may add up quickly.

What I learned from that experience is the wire embedded in the coil body is not attached to anything other than the epoxy you see on the coil body.

If you can chip away the epoxy, grab the exposed remains of the wire with pliers and gently twist and pull, the remaining wire will come out cleanly from the magneto body.

Insert a new wire and epoxy the coil near where the wire enters the body - all set.

If you want to send it to me - and a week or two of delay is not a problem - send me and email for my address.

:)

Docwheelhorse

THANKS EVERYBODY!!! S.O.I I have sent you a PM

Tony

Save Old Iron

Tony,

I'll be happy to give it a go if you can confirm the coil to be functional before sending it to me.

Maybe just a quick spark test with an insulated screwdriver from ground to the raggedy bits of whats left at the coil wire. That way there is no waste of time or money for either of us.

The rest is actually fairly easy.

Docwheelhorse

Hi Chuck,

this coil was working perfect not three weeks ago during the last power outage---the engine runs my genset. So....... I am very confident/willing to take the risk that its fine except for the knawed off plug wire. Send me your address and how much $$$ and we can go from there.

Thanks!!

Tony

chris11

Chuck, let me know if you need more wire.

Save Old Iron

Chris,

thanks, but unless Tony wants more than a 6 foot long spark wire, I'm still good with leftovers from your last kind gesture.

Altho Mrs_Old_Iron says if your up for another batch of cream cheese cookies, the oven is still on !!

:)

Save Old Iron

Doc,

the patient is fine. Out with the chewed wire and soon enough, in with the new.

I'm going to leave and extra 2 or 3 inches of wire for you to work wiith. Trim it down as needed and just crimp in a plug terminal.

Should be in the mail back to you on Friday when the epoxy dries.

Looks like we are 2 for 2 on coil repairs using this technique.

Takes about 15 minutes to gut the old wire out and push in the new wire. Drying time for the epoxy depends, well, on the epoxy you use.

Gotta love the No User Serviceable warnings.

Guess they must put that on there for folks who blow into one end of a straw and don't know where it's going to come out !! LOL.

W9JAB
rat005.jpg

Duff

Ya know, I'd find some humor in the picture of the mouse, but I had to rewire my utility trailer for the THIRD time last Saturday night so I could take it to the Granby pull. The beady eyed little bastids get inside both the tongue and the frame rails (boxed type) and make a light lunch of the wiring harness. :)

Guess when I sandblast and repaint the trailer I'm going to ahve to figure out some way to block their access......

Duff :USA:

HankB

Guess when I sandblast and repaint the trailer I'm going to ahve to figure out some way to block their access......

Can you stuff steel wool into the openings? I've heard they won't chew through that.

Save Old Iron

Tony,

here is an update,

the old coil came apart quite nicely, and cleaned up well.

IMG_1210.jpg

the new wire (compliments of Chris11) will be epoxied into place and all should be functional.

IMG_1212.jpg

If you get this message in time, let me know if I can try an experiment over the weekend. I would like to mount a flywheel to a lazy susan type platform to allow manual spinning of the turntable with the flywheel on it. I will be able to place your coil next to the flywheel and see if the coil works correctly.

If you don't mind waiting a few more days, I can test the coil out. If I don't hear from you by Saturday, I'll ship it out to you on Saturday morning. :):USA:

If anyone wants to try this, the cost is only the $$ spent on a section of ignition wire and a dab of epoxy.

here is a more detailed procedure

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...3073&hl=magneto

WH nut

Why waste your time on the lazy susan, just mount the coil back on the motor, pull the plug out and lay it on the head with the coil hooked up and spin the motor by hand, or you could lick your fingers and hold on to the wire and spin it. If its good, you will have spark spinning it by hand

Save Old Iron

That would be my first choice Rick, but I'm fixing this for Doc WheelHorse in eastern CT who mailed it to me to replace a chewed high tension wire.

I live in upstate NY and don't currently have any mag based engines apart to test this on. I really wanted to be able to test my work before sending it back to the owner.

I was thinking about a lazy susan test fixture to check mag coils. In the last 2 months I had 3 neighbors with either chewed up coils or fried coils . I would have loved to be able to check those at home before either fixing them or confirming they were trash.

WH nut

Well that makes sense then. Do you have any old engines you can take parts from. Like crank and bearing plate you could rig up for testing

Docwheelhorse

Sorry.... didn't check in till now (11pm Saturday) I don;t need the coil right now so feel free to do any experiments you would like.

Tony

squonk

Just out of curiosity, couldn't you wave a magnet by the iron core and get some kind of pulse through the coil? Or even this: Take a soldering gun, Put the winding side of the gun near the coil bars. Pull the trigger and create pulsing magnetic field around the bars. I used to do this on GM vehicles with a no start. Put the gun near the distributor cap. If the fuel injectors pulsed you new the module was ok.

hm12460

Just out of curiosity, what does a new coil cost for these magnum's? I took one apart for a friend this afternoon. It was installed in his 312A.