Sign in to follow this  
300zx

Is it me or the linkages?

300zx

I spent the afternoon running the 92 520-H. I wasn't that happy with the hydro control, especially compared to the C161-H. The C control seems much smoother and less sensitive to movement. I knew the 520 was a little jerky, so before I started running it, I pulled the center cover, cleaned around the linkage, tightened the bolt that connects the front linkage to the back linkage to remove any slop, adjusted the neutral and the tension. I was running the tiller, so I was light on the front, but every time I moved toward reverse, it was at a faster rate than I expected and shifting from reverse to forward very easily brought the front off the ground (with the tiller up). I am probably exaggerating here, but my point is the C161-h just seems to be a lot smoother as well as faster in forward and reverse. I haven't worked the 1989 520-h that much, I am wondering now if it is more like the C or the 92 520. I must admit I am more partial to 8 speeds, so my bias may be showing!! Is it me or the differences in linkage on the hydros?

buckeye

Let's not forget you dealing with two different hydro units. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the c-161 is a sunstrand- and your 520 is an eaton. Maybe that is the difference. It could be your c-161 is a little worn and less sensative to movements of the lever. Thats my .02 cents, but I have been told before that I'm full of Sh%t!! :) I used to be partial to 8 speeds myself, but the hydro is the way to go if your not trying to pull out tree stumps. Also, I really dont care for useing a tiller on a hydro. I've noticed that the tiller will "push" the tractor, whereas the 8 speed will hold a steady speed.

300zx

Brian, I agree with using the 8 speed on the tiller. I was actually de-thatching my yard after over seeding using spring teeth on the tiller shafts, so the pushing wasn't that much. I was just tying out the 520-h and found myself wishing I had used the C161.

buckeye

Do you have a picture of the spring teeth on the tiller? Now you have me curious :) I have never seen a setup like that, and would like to see what you came up with. Sounds pretty cool. :USA:

300zx

Bryan, it took me a few days, but here are the pictures.

Last year I tried over seeding my yard with a rented slit seeder. If you are not familiar with them, slit seeders drop the seed on the ground in front, followed by solid teeth that put a 1/4 inch slit 2 inches apart in the ground for the seed to fall into. After a day of man handling that so called self propelled machine, I decided this year I would have one with a steering wheel. So, I decided to add some spring teeth to tubing that would fit snuggly on my tiller shafts. I also added the gage wheels to control the depth and a sheet of plastic on the swing plate to control the flying debri. All went well though about 1/2 of the yard, then the rubber mounts on the spring teeth began to fatigue and fall off. I had to go though the yard with my metal detector to find the 9 teeth that came off. So, back to the drawing board on that part. I may just go to solid 1/4 straight blades or try the true spring teeth.

2010%200919%20Wheel%20Horse%20Tiller%20w%20Spring%20Teeth%20001.jpg

2010%200919%20Wheel%20Horse%20Tiller%20w%20Spring%20Teeth%20003.jpg