Sign in to follow this  
elixir20

518H tranny issue

elixir20

Hi guys, I'm going to look at a 518-H that the owner says runs great for 20 minutes and then slows down to a crawl before stopping. I have looked at the transmission service guide for this unit and it perfectly describes this condition with causes ranging from low/dirty fluid/filter to a wasted transmission. I haven't seen the tractor yet...but would like your opinions on how big a risk to take on this tractor and the overall reliability of it. Thanks.

TT

If it's the USA model, it will have the Eaton 700 series hydro unit - which (for the most part :) ) is non-serviceable. The easiest way to ID the 700 is by a separate plastic fluid reservoir for the pump (accessible through a hole in the fender pan ~ under the seat), and lack of spin-on filter...... and the tractor will have the typical manual implement lift lever on the left side.

Past experience leads me to believe that it's "toast" and you'll need to find another pump.

You can actually (easily) change it over to an Eaton 1100 hydro unit (from a 416H, 520H, etc.) and gain hydraulic lift in the process. It's best to have a donor tractor if that's the route you take, but you could still do it by accumulating individual pieces and installing them once you've collected them all. :USA: