Sign in to follow this  
phil.s

Mower Belt

phil.s

Sorry in advance for the basic nature of this query. I have a '79 C121 with a mower deck of the same vintage - 36" rear discharge. One of the spindle bearings has given up the ghost. Now, the bolts holding the adjuster bar were very loose. I can't work out if the spring self adjusts the belt or not. If so, the bolts can be lightly tightened up so the bar can slide. If not, then they'll need to be torqued up with the belt at the correct tension. Which is it please?

My second query has been asked before but here goes. I can't remove the pulley. It's a pressed steel affair which won't tolerate a standard puller. Has anyone tried a dedicated pulley puller which cups the pulley spreading the load. I've seen them on the net but never used one. I'm at the stage where I've tried prying it and heating it but to no avail. I have a feeling it'll need to be cut off but I'd rather not as living in the UK, getting spares is slow and expensive.

Finally, is the bearing removable from the 'integral shaft bearing' (Toro part 103119)? Again, getting hold of this part will be tricky but a bearing should be gettable off the shelf.

Thanks in anticipation.

WH854

:USA: phil.s The spring is supposed to keep the tension on your belt. :)

The bearing you mentioned is no longer available from Toro,but I have seen them on Ebay, aftermarket.If they have been on the spindle for a long time they are apain to get off.The pullies should be a cast iron I think.Try this link and put this Model# in as I have it here (95-36XR00)(75-36XR02)

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Hope this will help you out!!

Chas.

Don1977

Those stamped sheet metal pulleys ware out and slip in tall grass and need to be replaced anyway. I don't have a 36' deck but I believe those bearings are pressed on the spindle shaft. You may have to have them pressed off and the new ones pressed back on. I had to replace all the stamped pulleys on my 48" base ,it just would not mow tall or thick grass.

WH854

Here is apicture of the bearing he is talking about.

103119.jpg

A not so good one larger

103119-1.jpg

This bearing fits inside what they call Housing- Bearing B P/N 105074

The pullies are what the call double D style cast iron the washers are also double D style.

Another Picture

18r20003-1.gif

This is what I have come up with :)

Chas.

phil.s

Really grateful for your advice guys.

I was being a bit stupid with regard to the tension on the belt....sorry for that.

I've had to have the pulley cut off and yes the spindle bearing is a one piece affair but reasonably priced on eBay. I'm struggling with the pulley. I can get one from a different supplier but shippage is a bit scary!

It's been warm and wet over the last few days and the grass has had a spirt. Memo to self.......get on with it Phil and order the parts!!

WH854

Good Luck with that deck phil :)

Chas :USA: