Sign in to follow this  
rjr

Dust In The Wind

rjr

I mow with the deck all the way up. High as it will go! The problem is, as someone else pointed out, that dust and leaves pour out from under the front of the deck because of the increased airflow. When I go over a patch of dirt it looks like pictures of the dust bowl back in the 30's. Mowing and vacuuming leaves usually leaves a small string of debris along the mowing path. I am thinking that attaching a rubber skirt to the bottom edge of the deck might minimize the problem. Has anyone tried anything like that?

W9JAB

what deck do you have?

rueger-99

My 42"SD does that....I went back to the 36" RD until I can find a 42"RD. Let us know how the skirt works out.

Raider

I had picked up a parts tractor with a 42"SD on it that had a length of fire hose screwed along the leading edge. I wondered why, maybe it was to keep the dust storm at bay?

rjr

Yup 42 SD. Personally I would avoid an RD. Leaf season is coming! My vac is the only reason my kids made it to adulthood. Weekends picking up leaves, (when they were young) were VERY stressful.

wh500special

Has anyone tried anything like that?

WH did that very thing. Part of the trailer vacuum package was a rubber molding that screwed to the front of the deck. It's a bandaid fix for a deck that really doesn't have very good airflow properties to start with...but it must help.

Steve

Audioshot

Ha! I just dust stormed the neighborhood yesterday and was thinking about the same thing.