Sign in to follow this  
rdd52

adjusting clutch on 701

rdd52

how do you adjust the clutch on a 701 got it started but gears grind.

stoneman

The first thing to do is to make sure that you have a good brake pad. If you don't then it'll need replaced. 20 bucks from member rmaynard. If it's good, then just follow the linkage rod from the clutch pedal. You need to tighten the nut at the end until you can't push the tractor without skidding the tires. (on a hard surface). Then just tighten the nut another 1/2 turn or so. The brake stops the trans from turning when you shift so your gears won't grind. If that doesn't take care of it, I'll be surprised. good luck . . . peace . . . scott :)

MaineDad

Welcome. First off all, take the belt guard off the tractor, so you can see how the clutch works. By depressing the clutch, you lessen the tension on the drive belt allowing the gears to be shifted. My guess is that the drive belt must have slipped off the clutch pulley.

Let us know

wallfish

The gears are grinding because the belt is still spinning the pulley when the clutch is pushed. Make sure the belt guard is installed. The belt guard guides the belt at the motor pulley.

Coadster32

I echo Wallfish's take on this. The tranny wouldn't be spinning if the belt disengages properly. After you get that all squared away, then adjust the brake nut. Good luck. :)

rdd52

i don't have any belt guards.do i have to have them to get it to work right? does anybody have a set for sale? the belt is still spinning when clutch is engaged.how can i fix it without belt guards?

stevasaurus

You really can't fix it without the belt guard that goes over the main drive belt. The guard makes it work by forcing the slack in the belt, when the clutch is depressed, toward the pulley on the trans. :)

Did you just get this tractor? Where are you located? Can you post some pictures so we can make sure you have a 701 with the correct engine? :USA: Someone may have a guard for you, but you need the right one for your machine. I wouldn't adjust anything until you fix this problem. :wh: Should not be a hard or expensive fix.

Coadster32

You can make a little arm, or elbow :USA: and put it on the clutch pully to rub the top side of the belt forcing slack. You'd then also have to put "fingers" on the engine block to stop the belt from coming off the pully when slacked. (Definatly worth getting the belt cover though)

I actually have the cluch arm thingy on my 551 under the belt guard. :)

rdd52

i tried to post new pictures of it no luck i have one on my profile

stevasaurus

It looks like an original 701...someone should be able to jump in here with a belt guard for you. That should solve your problem.

On the photo posting, try photobucket, left click the "IMG" code, then right click and click copy... :)

rdd52
007.jpg this is a picture of the 701 i'm working on

rdd52

007.jpg

here is a picture of the 701 i'm working on

rdd52
006.jpg here is another one of it i messed up on the first try

stevasaurus

Very nice. :) Someone's got to have a guard for you. I see you posted in the want ads. :USA:

rdd52

thank you. i still have a lot of work to do on it the motor smokes when i start it and gen.needs to be rebuilt and decals i want it to get it to shift first before i do the other things.