Sign in to follow this  
Joemckna

Clutch/Belt Issue

Joemckna

Hey all, I'm having a clutch/belt issue with my 76 A-100 WH (model number 62-10BP01). Ordered a new belt from Toro, part number: 103522, got it on without any issues. When I released the clutch pedal after installing the new belt, the clutch pedal would not return to its normal position.

Got on, started it up, and could barely get it in and out of gear. It's acting as though the belt is just too tight. Since the pedal is resting about 2 inches off of the running board, and there is no play in it, I got underneath and looked, checked the spring, belt guide positions and there's nothing that I could see that could be an issue. I was told that if the guide wires are not aligned properly that could cause an issue. I have the tractor manual and the illustrations from Toro's websites, but they are not much of a help and do not illustrate the positioning. Could this be the issue?

I completely restored the machine a year ago and just got around to actually putting a new belt on and finishing up. My memory as to the order of things underneath to be honest isn't fresh. There's a possibility that something is amiss, I'm just not sure what to look for. Is it possible that I was simply given the wrong belt by Toro?

Additionally, there was 2 parts that are off of the machine that I cannot place, could these be the missing link:

46533_472284058318_754713318_6652592_5163432_n.jpg

47226_472284768318_754713318_6652625_3056707_n.jpg

41270_472285633318_754713318_6652645_3857893_n.jpg

Would love to have the old girl back up and running for my g-dad, any help that you might have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Joe--

rmaynard

Don't know about the A-100, but most models need all components assembled in order to work properly. For example, the B-100 won't work without the belt cover. Do you have all the belt guides installed correctly?

Bob

stoneman

here is the assembly drawing to your clutch linkage. may be some help.

tempimg.gif

Joemckna

Don't know about the A-100, but most models need all components assembled in order to work properly. For example, the B-100 won't work without the belt cover. Do you have all the belt guides installed correctly?

Bob

Bob, thanks for the reply. From the limited amount of illustrations I have, I'm pretty sure the guides are on correctly. I haven't been able to place the part(pic above) on the machine, and haven't been able to find someone to tell me whether or not the part actually has any bearing on any of the problems I'm having.

I'm going to double check everything, including the guides. The million dollar question is, would a mis-aligned or missing belt guide account for the clutch pedal being 95% down?

jpmcleod

Hook that baby to a tree and let out the clutch and streatch the belt a little. Had the same problem on a C-120 and streatching the belt solved the problem. I noticed one of you extra parts is a belt guide. Make sure the belt is not riddind on top of a belt guard causing the added length to make it not disengage. Believe it or not, I have actually done that and I'm sure others have.

I don't know a whole lot but I sure learn by making mistakes.

For example: I have tried to crank my C-81 off and on for two weeks. Thought it was a gas feed problem. Bought a new spark plug this morning and whammo! it runs great.

Good luck on the belt issue. These guys on this site will be there to help you.

wheel horse man

i got a brand new belt for my commando and it would not go into gear with out grinding or come out of gear but when i put the belt gaurd on it slowed the blet enought to let it ease in to gear and out of gear with out any griding.

HankB

i got a brand new belt for my commando and it would not go into gear with out grinding or come out of gear but when i put the belt gaurd on it slowed the blet enought to let it ease in to gear and out of gear with out any griding.

I'm not sure the belts on the vertical shaft tractors work the same way, however there are some tabs and guides that might make a difference. Looking at the picture, I'd check that the parts 6-33 and 6-18 are in the correct location. They might act to slow the belt when the clutch pedal is depressed.

If you can get pictures of the underside of your A-100, that might help the OP to check to see that everything is in the right place. (And it might help me too when I get ready to put my A-80-E back together. :) )

stevasaurus

If everything is right, and like you said, you just restored the horse...maybe there is no slip in the pulleys. I would try cleaning the pulleys with some mineral spirits to make them a little slippery. You really just want the tension and not the grab. :)

Joemckna

You guys are great!

I'm going to bring the laptop out into the garage, and I'm going to pick at each suggestion and hopefully, I'll get somewhere. I actually sent Toro an e-mail yesterday, they told me "we are trying to find someone that can address your inquiry". I was told by someone on another forum that the belt is supposed to be: {HA/Ax85"} which is 1/2"x85, I asked Toro to double check the length of the belt for me. In the meantime, I have a lot of food for thoughts, thanks again! :) :USA:

SAM58

LOST A TRANNY BECAUSE I WAS RUNNING IT WITHOUT THE BELT GUARD :)

I LEARNED THE HARD WAY THE BELT GUARD HELPS TO STOP THE BELT WHEN THE CLUTCH IS DISINGAUGED

JUST A THOUGHT. :USA: