Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

C-161 confusion?

mowerman1193

Ok, a year ago I looked at a C-161 that had a flat hood (older square style ). Stopped in at a local dealer last spring and they have a C-161 that looks a lot like my C-145 with the blacked out hood etc. Kind of thinking about making them an offer on the thing if they still have it (was still there 3-4 weeks ago ) as they have been asking $500 and its been there all summer long. Paint looks pretty good and the guy says it runs great..I just have no use for the sweepster broom ( only attachment it has )..Not sure if I was to buy it what those brooms would be worth. I think maybe a business owned it as it has some number decals suck to the side of it, and I don't think it has seen much sunlight,rain or snow..maybe a factory had it to sweep floors or something..Been outside all summer though, LOL

Anyway what is the deal with the two hood styles? Did they do that to make people like me ask questions, LOL I suspect maybe just one is newer ( right in the time line of them coming out with the black hoods)..Is that correct? Must be around a 1980 I would guess..

Thanks,

Kevin

tgranthamfd

The C-161 Twins had the Black hood of the 80 to 84's with a C-??1 type of hood stand. I think the headlights were different, too. I think it had the older style light bucket, just bigger, where the other Black hoods had 2 headlamps. Might have missed some details, but this is a few that I know of.

bitten

From what I know ( not to much ) the C-161 is a 78' or a 79'. They both came with the K- Kohler and could be had with a 8 speed or an automatic. I have seen those sweepster brooms go for a good amount of money and they can be useful for clearing dry snow from a asphalt drive as well as other things. For $500 I would really considerate it.

fireman

If you look through the picture gallery, the 161s with the single cylinder have the old style hood. The ones with the twins have the black hood. Looks like it's the same for both years it was made 78' and 79'.

If the one at the dealer has the black hood, odds are it has a twin. Those sweepsters sell for approx. $300 around here so I think that would be a score at $500! if it's in decent shape.

I'd go for it!

squonk

Those brooms work awesome on light snow falls on paved lots and sidewalks. Where I work we have a Simpicity with one that you can go like hell and get the walks done fast. At least we used to. The grounds keeper is too lazy to put it on. He wants to sit in the truck and watch everyone shovel! :):):):USA: :wh:

Kelly

Kevin if it has a twin it's a 79 C-161 it will have a fiberglass hood and plastic rear fender, if it was a single it would be the old style hood, and built 78 and 79, I sold a sweepster this summer and got $150 it needed new brushes, brushes cost $226 I know I just bought some, $500 is not a bad price if the tractor is in good shape.

fireman

According to the Wheel Horse Master Model list document I have, here is the following info on the C-161:

81-16B801 Briggs Twin 16 8-speed Trans

81-16BS01 Briggs Twin 16 Auto Trans

81-16K801 Kohler single 16 8-speed Trans

81-16KS01 Kohler single 16 Auto Trans

91-16B801 Briggs Twin 16 8-speed Trans

91-16B802 Briggs Twin 16 8-speed Trans

91-16BS01 Briggs Twin 16 Auto Trans

91-16BS02 Briggs Twin 16 Auto Trans

91-16K801 Kohler single 16 8-speed Trans

91-16KS01 Kohler single 16 Auto Trans

Hope this helps :)

mowerman1193

Thanks for all the info on these. I guess I thought it was newer than 78-79 but that was partly why I didn't understand why they had an oddball during the C-145 years..

Kevin

C-Series14

Since it has been explained, I can get back to working on the truck! :) Installing a Train Horn Kit!!!

Seriously though, it is a story that has been told many times and it is a strange one. I talked to Ed Cole of Toro fame back at the second or third WH Show and he told me, now I have forgotten most of it since then but, in 1978, WH was going to introduce a new 17hp Kohler Twin, hence the mention of a C-171 in some of the old manuals, I have one. Well, long story short, the Kohler was not available so WH decided to use a B&S Twin WHICH required a different hood so they made them out of fiberglass due to the time it would of taken for tooling setup to make one out of metal.

That is where the hood style for the 1980-1984 black hoods comes from! Also, 1980 was the first year of the 17hp Twin Kohler...and the rest is history.