Sign in to follow this  
Trouty56

7879 Bronze Bushing

Trouty56

There is a part number '7879 Bronze Bushing' that is used where the seat pan attaches to the tool box and it is also used on the idler pulley shaft. Did a quick search on Google with nothing usable to locate if this part is available. What have you guys used to replace these bushings??

Thanks.....

Trouty56

Thanks Gary. I was hoping for a cheaper alternative. Might get a brass sleeve and get a mechanic at work to turn it down a little instead. I could just give him 10 or 15 bucks and still be ahead of that price.

refracman

I get them from our local hardware for a coouple of bucks.

Trouty56

Wow!! I checked like Lowes, TSC and H Depot. We really don't have a hardware store anymore that I know of. Better call around. I might get lucky too.

gwgdog66

Wow!! I checked like Lowes, TSC and H Depot. We really don't have a hardware store anymore that I know of. Better call around. I might get lucky too.

I hear ya. Good Hardware stores are hard to fine around here too.

Trouty56

I think these bushings are an odd size. At first I was thinking maybe a 1/2 X 5/8. The 1/2 is correct but I think the OD is 9/16 or something. I can get a 1/2 X 5/8 so maybe I'll drill the hole out a little bit...what do you think?? Think I'll try it on the seat pan assembly.

By the way mcmaster is a real hardware alright.

The Toolman

99 outta 100 chance that IBT has it in their stores.....

Anglo Traction

Hi Bob T n All, I'm perhaps a bit shy of posting being a Newbie and sympathise with your issue of Bearing cost and availability.

It may not help you one bit as I'm in the UK and if I made some for you, it would cost the same to ship as to buy.

I had no option but to make my own out of Cast Gunmetal stick as mine were both Shattered (no washer fitted behind bolt head when built) on my 72 Raider 12.

the Dims I worked to initially were 1/2" bore x 9/16+ 10thou" outer, and enlarged the flange dia to 13/16" to increase contact face with Washer. I made them a press fit in the hole and used locktite 243.

It may be worth finding someone with a lathe and making some up out of Brass.

This is how mine finished up.

Fenderpivotbush.jpg

Anyway I hope you find a cheap solution.

Lane Ranger

:)

I bit the bullet and bought two of these bushing today (order from toro) for 16.47 for my B-80 tractor.

MikesRJ

They say necessity is the mother of invention, and I will freely admit that this one falls under the heading of; "dumb things you figure out while restoring old tractors". While pulling the tractor apart I noticed that all four flange bushings (2 for the fender pan pivot point, and 2 for the manual PTO handle {WH P/N: 7879} ) were almost completely gone. I figured they were a common part and I'd buy four to replace them and be done with it. Well, they are an available part ... if you want to pay $10 a piece for them at Toro. While looking for a couple of odds and ends at Tractor Supply, I saw these "1/2" Axle Cap Nuts". I knew the inner diameter was 1/2" to accept the 1/2" rod, I could grind off the cap, and those barbs could be moved or ground off, to make the flange bearings I needed. Plus they are exactly the same OD as the pressed holes in the Dashboard Riser and Fender pivot bracket. They worked like a charm and they're only $1.79 per 2 ea. I have included pictures below.

D-2.JPG

D-3.JPG

Note the cap is ground off and the tabs pressed back into the body.

D-4.JPG

• Like 3