Sign in to follow this  
PPGman

New addition to the Horse Stable

PPGman

Well, i ended up picking up another WH Horse Fri. evening to keep my C-120's some company in the Horse stable. I saw this one advertised in Dillsburg, PA, went to look at it, and ended up comming home with it. I ended up paying $375 for the tractor and mower. Not sure if i did well or not as far as price, but i was pleased with the machine after i got it running.

The ID sticker on on the rear pan is either faded, or someone wiped over it with solvent during a previous rattle can art project. The tractor is a 416-8 speed with a 16 hp Kohler. The decal on the engine reads:

Model # K341S

Spec# 71381

Serial# 1527403604

I'm thinking this is somewhere in the neighborhood of the mid 80's era but i'm guessing at best. Since the numbers are gone on the fender pan, can i zero in the year based on the engine ID #'s?

When i looked at the tractor, it ran, but missed terrible. I had to choke it 3/4 just to get it to run. The PO said he put a fuel pump on it last year and it ran terrible ever since. When i got it to the shop and started going over it, i found a cloged air cleaner, an incorrect gapped spark plug, fouled points, and a gas line that was cracked and sucking air. After addressing these small issues, i started her up, adjusted the carb, and it purred perfect. Mechanically this tractor workes 100%, and was a great find in that respect. I took the mower off, to get a better look at was was going on there, and except for blades that looked like they been on a bush hog for a decade, the deck was in great shape. Looks like someone changed the spindle's out to greasable zerks at some point. After greasing everything up, and putting an edge on the blades, I have to say that the mower worked really nice as well. I have never been a big fan of the rear discharge decks, but this one worked really nice.

I think some fresh paint and some new decals will be in the near future for this one! :)

416wheelhorse001.jpg

416wheelhorse002.jpg

416wheelhorse003.jpg

416wheelhorse006.jpg

WH nut

Nothing wrong with that

racinfool40

Great find and for the price I'd say you did good as for year not sure.Im sure others will let you konw.. :)

TT

Nice one, Doug! Looks like a 1986 (tractor) by the spec number on the engine. (but the engine serial number dates it to 1985)

This should be the model number: 31-16K802

By the way........

That deck looks new enough to have greasable spindles from the factory. :)

PPGman

Thanks for the information Terry. I've been looking around for a 16 horse to restore for some time now, and this one looked like a decent candidate. Actually i was hoping to find another C-series, but this one grew on me the longer i stood there and looked at it.

Now that you mention it, i'll bet that deck did come from the factory with grease fittings in 85.

I watched my Dad change those darn bearings/shaft's about every 3yrs before he came home one day with a box full of new bearings and shafts with zerk fittings a decade ago. I don't think we touched any of them since.....except with a grease gun of course :)

stevebo

That imo is one of the very best workers that wheel horse ever made. The 41608 with single kohler !! You will love it !!