Sign in to follow this  
besman

How much can it take?

besman

I'm thinking about making an attachment for my c160 but i'm curious to know how much weight the mount for the standard hitch on the Uni-Drive trans. can take (see circled part in pic below). I'm thinking that the bracket i make will connect there and either the mid-mount or axle mount.

Thanks,

M

(This is not my tractor)

2052381890104087119S425x425Q85.jpg

jtmoyer

that is a hard question to answer, it will depend on the length of the attachment arm and where the weight is placed. you know "give me a lever long enough and i will lift the world" and all. the force will be different for a 3ft arm and a 5ft arm, where the lift point is the fulcrum.

besman

a little more esplanation. The point in question would be the fulcrum. It would carry the weight of the attachment. If it's too much weight there, i may have to let the axle mounts carry it.

Kelly

I've seen some pictures of some very big boats, and other trailers hooked to the stock hitch that uses that mount, so I guess with out knowing what and how much weight, I'd say go for it.

Just remember the axles will only carry so much for so long, same for the axle bearings, and I recomend the 1 1/8" axles.

besman

I'd say the attachment would be around 500 lbs.

daemon2525

OK, I'll bite. What's the attachment going to be?

besman

Not sure yet. Maybe some type of spray/water rig. Maybe something else. Just didn't want to break that mounting hole off and put a whole inthe tranny case.

pfrederi

500 lbs on the hitch would probably cause the front wheels to leave the ground. Also if you are driving other than on smooth pavement you have shock load to think about. Even a heavy boat trailer probably doesn't exceed 200 lbs tongue weight and people use them on smooth driveways.

As to axle loading for the D series I think WH said less than 200 lbs for a weight box... but they were also concerned about stress on the hydro unit.....

besman

Point taken about doing wheelies with the thing. That was my other thought, just having a pull-type spray/water rig. Thanks for the tips.

M