Sign in to follow this  
fireman

Transmission fluid drain plug problem

linen beige

If you end up going the drill route consider left hand bits or reverse drill bits as sometimes they can remove the plug before it penetrates negating any shaving cleanup. Good luck. :)

:USA::wh: Simple, cheap answer!

Coadster32

Left handed drills also make a great gag on others. (at least in our shop) :)

fireman

Well got the 230 Volt outlet installed today for the new welder. Drove the tractor over to the workshop and proceeded to weld on a nut. The first one didn't take so good. To much grease/oil in the opening of the plug. It was also difficult to weld upside down accurately when you can't see where your pointing the tip of the wire. So I tapped the inside of the drain plug with a 5/16-18 tap and threaded a stud in it. Then I welded the side of the stud where it met the plug. Then I found a nice 1" long 5/16 threaded stand off and thread that onto the stud and left a little space so I could weld that to the stud. It worked! Got the SOB loosened up. Now I just need to get a replacement plug and I'll change the fluid :wh:

Thanks to everyone for their advice :) :USA:

Suburban 550

I knew you could do it, Jeff. :)

wallfish

glad to hear you got it Jeff!

How do you like that new welder?

fireman

That new welder is just awesome. It makes even a bad welder good. I tried it out at the demo and couldn't believe the difference between this one and my old Chinese junker. :)

P.S. What size NPT plug is used on the transmission plug? I want to pick one up on the way home.

wh79d160

1/4 NPT. I replaced mine with a brass hex when I had that problem 2 years ago. I just changed the fluid (oil) again about 2 months ago & the plug came out just fine & I reused it. :)

HankB

..., I decided to go with the Handler187. Not only was it $50 off but he through in a cool little pony CO2 bottle w/fixed flow regulator and a auto darkening helmet. It also came with the standard regulator etc.

Looks like a great setup. My son has a Hobart gas welder and it might even be that model. He uses it to handle all of my welding needs. :)

Coadster32

I've been eying a Hobart 140 for a bit of time now. I wanted it in my garage this summer, but.... Well, you all know how it is.

wh79d160

I have a 140 (120 volt, uses standard 20 amp outlet) My wife bought it for me 2 yrs ago. I just finished my 1st roll of wire last night. I really like it. :) It's easy to use once you figure out how to set it up with what your welding. It's rated for up to 1/4 " , I think , but the guy @ Kirk welding, who sells Miller, which he said was the same as Hobart, said it would weld up to 3/8, it just takes more time. He said they can't advertise it that way for liability reasons.

Coadster32

Thanks for the Hobart140 vote of confidence.

Jeff, glad to hear this turned out well for you. (no pun intended) :)

stevasaurus

Great thread Jeff. A lot of very good information. Now I have to get out there and practice my welding, maybe like Butch...take a class. :) Thanks