Sign in to follow this  
dennist

Can Eaton 11 take place of Eaton 7 on a 518-H

dennist

I have a 518-H that is having issues with what I think is the pump. I am checking into the smaller less expensive possibilities first(belt,keyways,fluids,etc.) but say worst case the pump on the 7 is bad---can I just put a pump from a 11 on it. Thanks-Dennis

truckin88

the only issue I'd think is the hydro lift, you could go to an 8 speed easy.

dennist

Yes, The 8-speed would work great. The owner wants the hydro for personal reasons. He seems to say he can plug off the lift issue? Just wondering if It would be a direct fit onto the trans axle, as I do have a pump from an 11 sitting on my bench that I could give him. Thanks for your response.

refracman

The drive gear on the pump is different just have to check the ID to see if it'll swap. You will also want to install the filter ass. as the 11 pulls its oil from the case and the 7 is a self contained unit. But to answer your question yes its a direct bolt on once you remove the spacer.

dennist

Yes, the filter assem. will be added. The drive gear being different,and spacer needing to be removed is what I am not familiar with- are you talking about adding the spacer from the 11 or the 7? Also with the drive gear being different, how does that work if it is different?

Horse Fanatic

I plan to do the same thing to my 516 if the tranny craps out, but it's still going strong.

The spacer is used on the 7, you eliminate it to put the 11 on.

refracman

Glenn is correct the spacer is used for the 7 series once removed the 11 will bolt up. The drive gear is held on with a 1/4-20 bolt on the pump/motor. Take care when tightening I have seen this bolt sheer and it'll jam up the trans also use locktite.

dennist

The pump turned out to be low fluid and very nasty/dirty sludge inside. Must not have been maintained well over the years. No filter on the 7, I wonder why not? Anyway we will be changing the pump and transaxle- the whole set-up as I do have a spare one from a C-125. He will be checking to see if the axles are 1" or 1 1/8" on the eaton 7, as the eaton 11 is 1 1/8" ,so the hubs will be the only change needed at that point, along with the Hyd-lift issue, if I am correct? Thanks for your response with this.

refracman

The 518 as with all hydros have the 1 1/8 axels. If you have the hyd lift, you will need only a couple of parts to install it. The mount for the valve, footrest spacer and dash panel and lift control lever. I believe the hoses and valve are the same on all eatons trans.

Horse Fanatic

Are you leaving the machine a manual lift or converting it to hydro lift?

dennist

I do have the hydro lift assembly if he wants to go that way. I have not talked to him today to see if that is what he wants or not, it would make sense that he get the lift items since they are all here and good working condition. Glad to hear the hubs on all 500 hydros are 1 1/8". Thanks for the info.