Sign in to follow this  
tgranthamfd

Lift cylinder rebuild

tgranthamfd

As some of you know I just purchased my first hydro tractor a week or so ago. Works beautifully, but the lift cylinder bleeds down. I saw an o ring kit for them, just wondering how hard it is to kit one of these lift cylinders? It is a 1980 C-145 auto 01-14KS01. The Sundstrand or Sunstrand, which one is it? :) Will the O ring & seal fix the issue, it does have a drip coming out of it? Anyway, knew I would have some questions, so teach me something. :USA: Hopefully it will not be much tougher than those darned ISO mounts were.

Indy w h

Terry the cylinder isn't that bad to rebuild. Just remember to use plenty of lube

on the o-rings when you put it back together.

Indy

tgranthamfd

Terry the cylinder isn't that bad to rebuild. Just remember to use plenty of lube

Indy

Do you know if that could be the cause of the lift bleeding down? Thanks Terry

tgranthamfd

Indy

When you said to keep them lubed, what is preferred to use on the O rings during reassembly?

Indy w h

Terry, the lift cylinder O-rings go bad after awhile. Your tractor is a 1980's model so that's a few years of lifting decks,plows and whatever. When the O-ring starts to wear out you'll get a drip where the ram goes through the collar. When i rebuild HY-2 and 3 pumps I use a heavy oil or Vaseline to coat the O-rings and it makes it easier to re-assemble them. Just make sure you don't cut the edge of the O-ring putting it back in or it will leak again Any questions shoot me a PM

Indy

Kelly

It might be the control valve that is bleeding, internally and letting the deck or what ever drop down, most are rebuildable.

Most of the newer lift cyl. I've seen are not rebuildable, unless you put them in a lathe and cut them open and have therm welded back shut.

tgranthamfd

Thanks for the information guys, I will keep the control valve in mind, as well.

tgranthamfd

It might be the control valve that is bleeding, internally and letting the deck or what ever drop down, most are rebuildable.

Most of the newer lift cyl. I've seen are not rebuildable, unless you put them in a lathe and cut them open and have therm welded back shut.

Just gathering information, so far. Is the control valve accessible without tearing everything apart tranny wise? Is it a o ring type rebuild, as well?

gwgdog66

Terry's Lift Cylinder rebuild went very well. It holds the mower deck up now :)

Now the cylinder hoses are leaking :thumbs: PN# 106420 and 106421 are no longer available.

Does anyone know if the hoses off a later 80's 416H will work? #110124 and #110125 are still available. :wh:

Indy w h

I've had hoses made at a place close to me Just take them off and

have them cut to fit.

Indy

gwgdog66

Thanks. That's what he is going to do, If the local Napa can do them.

gwgdog66

I've had hoses made at a place close to me Just take them off and

have them cut to fit.

Indy

Indy,

What PSI Rating do the lift cylinder hose's need to be rated at?

Indy w h
I've had hoses made at a place close to me

Forest Road

Typical hydro systems run 3000psi on up. Most hoses will be made to that spec. The WH hydros run at a low psi. Somewhere in the 700 - 1200 range. You shouldn't have a problem at any local shop.

Indy w h
I've had hoses made at a place close to me

clintonnut

Local shop prices are killer. Check out surpluscenter.com. I replaced all the hoses and fittings on my 1277 for less than $60 and they are made in USA and high pressure rated. Very good quality. It does take a little time to understand hose fitting sizes but for instance mine were a 7/16 O ring into the cylinder and pump (Sae 5m) and JIC 4 (swivel ends) JIC 4 is 1/4" ID hose which is the right size. When I blew the hose on my D-250 plow it cost $46 and it took the guy 5 minutes to make. I wouldn't even bother with local shops. Your paying a marked up price and also paying the trucking and handling for the materials.

Charlie

gwgdog66

Thanks guys.