Sign in to follow this  
littleredrider

13 horse on a ranger

littleredrider

Haven't really posted in a while, thought I'd give an update on the little guy. The Kohler 8 horse that I picked up had issues, the Tecumseh 6 horse had more power. Only thing that really impressed me was how smooth and quiet it was at idle. I think if you ran the exhaust away somewhere where you couldn't hear it, there would be little to hear on the engine itself.

But anyways, wanted something bigger than an 8 horse, so I did some measuring and checking online with different sized engines. Harbor Freight has good deals on the Honda clones, and since a 13 horse was cheaper than most 6-8 horse engines, and I know it was gonna be new, thought I'd give it a try. The store is barely an hour away, went down with what measurements I needed.

The 11 and 13 horse are the same size, so why would I go with the 11 when I can get something bigger??

It's on the tractor and running, I'm driving it around towing my daughter and the neighbor kids in the wagon, they can't get enough of it. Sometimes it gets annoying, I'm pulling up the driveway from a 12 hour workday, truck isn't even stopped and there yelling for a ride....

Anyways, I still have some work to do so it's "right". The way it's mounted now, the hood isn't even close to bolting on. Since the piston is on an angle rather than straight up on the Tecky 6, with the motor bolted in the stock location, the piston is past the frame up front.

After some more measuring I figured where a good spot would be, and still be able to take the hood on and off. I will need to get a different muffler and air filter setup to make the hood fit, but that is no big deal. Also took the tank that came with the motor off, since the tractor has one already. Not that it needs it, but after I re-jet it, will give it some more power.

Before I put this motor on, I changed the pulleys so it will be faster. I couldn't believe how slow they are stock!!!! I changed the front from 2 1/2" to a 4", and the rear to a 3".

When in high range 3rd gear, it will pull any hill at an idle, no problem. And if your not careful or paying attention, hit the throttle while turning, it will lift the front wheels enough so that it doesn't steer, then grabs all of a sudden and almost throws you off.

I figure this should be enough to run the snow blower now in just about any gear.....

These are the only ones that I have right now, I'll try to get some more....

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/22...t=entertainment

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/20...t=entertainment

btrrg1969

let us know how that honda clone works out

littleredrider

So far it's great. More of an annoying thing that anything else, but whether it's warm or first start, the choke has to be on. Two cranks and it's running then shut it off, idles/runs great after that. Probly won't be as bad once I get the choke cable hooked up.

I have to take the recoil off, with the engine moved back it hits the clutch/brake pedal, and will have to move the battery somewhere. Bout the only spot is the toolbox. I have a motorcycle battery so it won't take up too much room.

Roger from southern Iowa

Sounds like quite a transplant!! :)

Keep us informed.

rickv1957

Sounds like a nice swap!,Rick

littleredrider

To do the swap right, I need a welder, something I don't have. I need to weld some plates between the framerails, as there is nothing there to drill holes into. Also need to weld bolts on the left side of the frame for the motor mounts. Figure this would be the easiest way, tried to figure out a subframe that will bolt to the frame, but couldn't come up with anything simple.

So far it's great. Power is never an issue. This should throw some serious snow.....

pumper.atv

those are fun to put bigger motors on

mine is geared down more than it was but it now has amazing pulling power :)

littleredrider

I have the 4" on the motor, and just put a 2" on the tranny. Have the OEM belt, think it's a wee bit too short, in 3rd gear pulling a hill it slips. Still has all kinds of power. Not sure how fast it is, but for a tractor it's pretty fast....

I might have to rebuild the tranny or swap it for the other one that I have, it's making a noise inside, sorta like a bolt is loose clanging around....

VinsRJ

I have had a 6.5hp HF clone on my Rat all summer.... no issues at all. In my case (6.5 version) it dropped right in my 60 Suburban with no mods at all.

Same deal with me, choke has to be on no matter when you try to start the engine. The only thing is, it starts on the first pull no matter if its cold, hot, tired...... :)

littleredrider

Wonder what the deal is with these??? Mine is electric, starts on the 2nd rev of the engine.

I'm thinking about getting the 6.5 for my other ranger, the motor in that is getting really tired. The gas tank is mounted on the engine, not sure how they are on the RJs, but did the HF 6.5 motor/tank line up with the tractor's gas tank hole??? I'm doing enough fab'n on the 63, don't really want to on the 67.....

tarcoleo

Put two in "C" chassis', an 11 hp Honda, and a 13 hp Honda clone. Far as I can

tell the 13 hp is truly Honda, just assembled in China. Both pull 48" decks equally

well. They fit in the chassis' like they were made to. The 11 went into a C-111 about

15 years ago. The 13 into a C-81 last winter. Hoods needed trimming though.

The 13 does require a bit more warming up than the 11, but maybe needs a carb

adjustment. Otherwise, no difficulty. Both are electric start but I just use the

recoils, they start first or second pull dependably. I have only connected the throttle

cable.

Tom in RI

littleredrider

Finally got some new pics, 13 horse is on, mostly done. Just some small stuff, but nothing that can't wait till it gets warm again.

Also got the 8-speed swapped into the 67 ranger, and got the K181 on and running today. Seems to run good, need to adjust the governor and tweak the carb some. Oh and fab some brackets for the gas tank. Only have a small "shelf" for it to sit on with some pipe strap holding it on. Hood helps keep it place too.

Forgot to take pics of the chains that I made for it. Buddy works for a major phone company, doing some dumpster diving he found tire chain kits, only the chain that goes across the tread, I needed to get the chain that goes around both sides. These have a bar that is welded across every other one, I tried to find a pic but no luck. They should work pretty good when it gets icy....

Only grabbed a handful of pics, it gets too dark too dang early...end of page to and page three are the newest pics...

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/577902523PdPLZF

wheelhorse656

anyone els have a problem with there harbor frieght knock of. i bought a chore master with one of those on it and that motor is a piece of crap it leaks gas all over the place and it only runs till it gets hot then it wont run for a while after that until it cools. in my opinion i would have rather spent the extra money on a a kholer of a briggs or a tecumseh. :thumbs:

littleredrider

Only issue if you want to call it that is if it stalls or restart it, no matter if it's hot or not, have to choke it. Other than that, no complaints here. I don't have the factory gas tank on mine, no leaks anywhere...

HorseFixer

Stephen (Rollerman) I want my Ranger Back! :thumbs: