Sign in to follow this  
Dockfishin

switching a 800 work horse electric to mechanical

Dockfishin

Was hoping someone could tell me if it's possible to swich the elctric pto clutch over to a mechanical one on a 800 work horse. Any help suggestions would be appreciated, the electrical isn't working properly and not a big fan of unneeded extras.

Thanks in advance

was going to post a picture but keeps saying cannot upload this type of file?? what file types does it accept?

dammed newbies anyway

Dockfishin
100_0171.jpg

Dockfishin
100_0169.jpg

pfrederi

The original motor on your tractor was a Tecumseh HH80. I would guess that it did not have ball bearings on the crankshaft, which is why WH used the electric PTO. Manual PTOs create end thrust against the crankshaft. Ball bearing mounted cranks can deal with eh end thrust, normal sleeve bearings cannot. You would have to put a plate and bearing and thrust washer behind the manual PTO against the block. WH used that method on some other B&S powered models. Look up A1-114201 GT series tractor for an example on the bearing, plate and washer.

I am not sure what you would have to do to mount the PTO control linkages.

Edit: Looking at your engine block you would need another threaded hole in the cast boss ahead of your upper belt guard bolt....

Frankly by the time you bought all the needed parts it would probably be just as cheap to pick up a used electric PTO

racinfool40

By looking at your pics you could use a raider 12 set up. but you wpould need the bracket that mounts to the dash tower the engagement arm the stand off clutch plate and the pto bell as oa a 1970 raider 12:DSCF1549.jpg

my raider had a hh120 tecky but switched over to a kohler. I'm sure others will let you know.

Dockfishin

Thanks for all the replies, even if pricing was same I'd like to get away from electrical. anyone knowing a tractor that would have the parts on it for a swap or if anyone has done this, the more info the better.

Thanks

Duff

Hmmm.....did we all forget to say.....

:USA: ?

Glad to have you aboard!

Duff :)

SAM58

I just parted out a Commando 800, have the bracket for the tower, and engine, clutch lever.. they need sanded and paint.

just need the clutch and pulley assy for convertion.

let me know.

Oh by the way... :)

Keep them ol' Horse running... :USA:

Roger from southern Iowa

All good input......as usual. :USA:

:)

wheel horse 1045

:) and good luck with removing the electric clutch because they can be a headack

rickv1957

:) Rick

btrrg1969

:) good looking horse there

tgranthamfd

:USA: Looks like you got the picture thing figured out. Don't let S.O.I. see those wire nuts. :) Good luck with your conversion, I couldn't shed any light for ya, but I do remember a post, of some sort, about the swap. I think a few, on here, have done it.

Save Old Iron

Don't let S.O.I. see those wire nuts. :)

Too late :USA:

Dockfishin

:USA: for the welcomes, dammed wire nuts anyway! lol those were on it when I bought it and first on my list to take care of. should've photoshopped them out before posting :) thanks for the posts of help also.

tgranthamfd

:USA: for the welcomes, dammed wire nuts anyway! lol those were on it when I bought it and first on my list to take care of. should've photo shopped them out before posting :) thanks for the posts of help also.

Sorry couldn't resist razzing ya about the wire nuts. The C-145 I just bought has one on it, as well, but it is nicely hidden. It, too, will be taken care of. :wh: Again, :) .