Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

3 point setup for a round hood...

JUSS10

ok, well away this past weekend i did some picking at an auctioneer's house down in North Carolina while visiting my sister. well i came home with some parts and pieces to build a lawn sprayer (brand new flojet pump) and a load of cultivator shovels as well as some other old tractor parts and small engine parts all for $10.

anyway, with the pump and shovels i want to build a sprayer and i have also been thinking of build a two row cultivator. before i build these for a sleeve hitch or attach-a-matic i was wondering if anyone has ever built a cat 0 3 point for a round hood. it would go on an 854. i figure the bottom two points could be on a frame that attaches in the sleeve hitch and a top link bracket that mounts where the seat spring bolts to the transmission.

i guess my main question isn't if its possible but rather if i should build one to cat 0 specs or if thats to large. would an 854 be capable of cat 0 equipment (back blade, box blade, yard rake, etc) or if i should just build my own to work with my own custom implements.

has anyone seen or built a setup that utilizes the sleeve hitch? i did a search on the forum but didn't find anything. i know i wont be able to apply downforce besides adding weight to the implements, i just think it would be cool to build and a nice base for custom implements.

thoughts, comments? thanks

Justin

WheelHorse_of_course

1) Be sure to check ALL of the settings in the search function - the defaults are not that useful

2) Search "Load Ranger". Among other cool stuff you will see Nick's 3 pt hitch.

:D :thumbs:

fireman

Someone here on Redsquare has already put a 3 point on a round hood. I'll have to search to try and find the thread.

JUSS10

Nicks load ranger helps a lot. Thanks for the search key words

JUSS10

ok so i've been doing some more research looking at what else is out there on garden tractors. i think i got a pretty good idea but i have one question. what stops the 3 point equipment from swaying side to side? it looks like all the links have a ball at the end which i my mind would allow the implements to sway left to right? am i missing something? hope to get a rough computer model drawn up and will post what i come up with. thanks

Justin

Matthew hurst

It will sway a little . Some big tractors have a bar to hold it for swaying :D:thumbs:images.jpgThe red arrow shows the bars.

JUSS10

thanks. i guess i need to allow enough movement to open the lower links and get the implement in. can anyone tell me what the value of B is on a category 0 implement or is that not a fixed thing? A appears to be 20" from what i found.

3_point_hitch_diagram.jpg

Matthew hurst

Do you mean how much it will madder to get the length right?? :thumbs:

wh500special

Rather than reinvent the wheel, you could perhaps adapt a Sears 3pt hitch to fit the rear of your tractor.

Like this one: Sears 3pt from Wheel Horse Stan

That way you'd be able to use appropriately-sized, readily-available Sears implements. They are smaller than cat-0. And the hitch mount to a plate like this: Mounting plate for Sears 3pt

Just a suggestion...

Steve

JUSS10

well for the price of that i could easily build my own. i'm just looking for some dimensions so i know where to start. i already have a plan in mind that i can build out of stuff around the shop. i think my uncle has an smaller cub cadet with a 3 point. maybe I'll just see how his works and build it off of his attachments.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I have a Sears garden tractor with the manual 3 point hitch like the one mentioned in the previous post. If you want me to measure anything or take detailed photos let me know.

KC9KAS

Some 3 point hitches have chains that criss-cross to lessen the amount of sway, but still allow the bars to spread for attaching implements.