Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Low Range Inoperable

mattd860

I am looking at buying a 79 C-161 with a bad transmission. I haven't looked it over yet but the owner claims the trans will not go into low gear. It works in high gear in all speeds. I know this is very hard to diagnose with no information but are problems like this usually fixable or will it be better to just source a new transmission? Is there something common that usually breaks which prevents low range from being achieved?

jdog_kustoms

i could be as simple as the roll pin broke in the high low shifter to the tab broke off the high low shifter arm in the tranny

rickv1957

Also could have a broken shift fork,Rick

mattd860

So it *might* not be something internally wrong with the transmission? Can the shift fork be replaced without opening up the trans?

Duff

Matt, just to reinforce what Jim's suggesting, have a look at that thread he's posted. Opening up a tranny really isn't all that daunting a task, and the fix is probably neither difficult nor expensive.

Every so often I like to put out some advice to our newer members of our :thumbs: family:

If you have an 8-speed tranny, NEVER shift from low to high range or vice versa while the machine is in motion. Stop, throttle down, put the gear shift in neutral, leave the clutch fully depressed and then change ranges. If the range selector sticks, gently rock the tractor with your body weight and finesse the shifter into the range you want. The 8-speed is a very strong tranny in many ways, especially compared to some of the other brands, but the shift fork for the range selection is a known weak point.

Good luck!

~Duff

Polaris2007

I'll put my money on the shift fork. I had to replace the one in my C-120 (Micah's now) and it was a simple task. The part is available from Toro for around $35. You will want to buy a gasket and seal set too.