Sign in to follow this  
jwilbt

C-175 vs C 195

jwilbt

I've lurked here for years and just joined the forum. I previously owned a C 195 that I sold to a friend, albeit one who is smarter than me and doesn't want to sell it back. :thumbs:

I then thought I wanted a 'D' series tractor but have decided against the age and parts issues for the Onan, not to mention the overall scarcity. In the interim, I picked up a pretty nice C 175. Not because I necessarily wanted it, but the price and mechanical condition made it a no-brainer. Now I'm pondering whether to invest some time and money into the 175, or keep searching for another 195. I should stipulate my intentions; I am not a collector and not looking to rebuild anything to show quality. I just grew up with Wheel Horse tractors, think they are all great and want a good solid tractor for some dirt work in the fall. To that end, I would prefer a 3 pt hitch like my 195 had and I would also love to have or add a small FEL. I wonder if anyone knows, is it possible to retro anything to get a 3 pt hitch on the 175, and also the thoughts or experience on an FEL on the 175, again vs the 195. I've pretty well digested all I could find on this forum, and others regarding beefing up the spindles, weight box, dual wheels, wheel weights, etc...The problem I'm bumping into, is holding out for a decent 195, clearly a $1000 -$2000 or more discussion for decent shape, adding something like a Kwik Way or similar and having $4000+ into it. I apologize for the long post and it probably seems like I'm answering my own questions but I would really appreciate other input. Thank you very much!

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I would work with what you have since the chances of finding a reasonably priced C-195 by fall are against you. As far as material moving you may want to consider a Johnny Bucket and a grader blade. I have both on a 310-8 and 312-8 and am happy with their performance.

Or there's always the option of trying to guilt your friend into selling back the c-195. You'll have better luck after you get a few beers in him. :thumbs:

Ken B

I'm not too sure where you are located. I did see a C-195 on Craigs list a few days ago. I believe it was in New Hampshire.

jtmoyer

i had a 520 with a kwik way and it just seamed to big for the tractor. i think duals would have helped. i don't think the 195 is that much heaver then the 520 and i ran out of traction before i filled the bucket. over all i think you will find the 175 just as capable as the 195 and easier on the wallet. we do have a member here that sells 3 point hitches for the c's.

i picked up a d160 with a bucket and it is a lot nicer moving rock with it then the 520.

boovuc

Hi JT,

:thumbs: and I'm assuming your C175 is an auto and not the 8 speed. I personally wouldn't retrofit anything to your "175". I know I love my 175 8-speed but it's not designed for the weight and the jars of a loader in stock form. (As you know). By the time you would retro all that it would need, you probably could find a 520, Super-C or a gently used D series for what you would have in it but on a tractor designed specifically for that use.

Just my humble opinion. I use my Wheelhorse's just as you wrote. Not parade pieces......I just love them for their design and use them everyday for yaerd work.

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

rickv1957

:thumbs: Rick

wh500special

I have no idea where you're located, but if you're in the St. Louis, MO vicinity or don't mind a drive I have a brace of 195's that I'd sell one of. Details have changed slightly since I made THIS post, but bottom line is that I have more Super C's than any half-sane person should have. I'd like to sell one of them since I need the extra space more than I need the extra tractor.

If you're interested PM me.

Steve

Arndts small engine repair

Hi :D:thumbs: :D

jwilbt

Hi all, thanks for the welcome and advice. I ended up working on the C-195 ad that 'Anonymous' posted and unless something unforeseen happens, that C-195 will be mine. In the end, I just couldn't pass up the C-195 because I really liked the one I had. It lacks some of the 3 pt pieces which I know can also be hard to find, but the tractor looks to be in great shape. I think I'm going to abandon the FEL idea, change my strategy for what I get done and what I do myself with my dirt work and stick with what I can do with the 3 pt and a back blade. Of course now I have the C-175 that still deserves some spiffing up but then I won't want to part with it! (I know you all understand this!)

jwilbt

ooops...sorry Ken B. It was you that pointed out the C/L ad. Thanks!

Roger from southern Iowa

:thumbs: Glad to have you here!!

Nick

If your simply looking to move things around the property then a front slip scoop might work well. The scoop would also be me much cheaper plus easier to install and remove.

I used a KW loader on both a 520H and C-195. To me the C-195 did handle the loader noticeably better than the 520 did. I believe the 195 has a bit of a weight advantage and is a little longer wheelbase. The tractors need up around 300 pounds of rear counterweight to keep the back end down and give you some traction. Both tractors also gain stability from dual wheels and I'd recommend them for doing any work on ground thats not level.

Wheel Horse Fan

Just for reference there is a site vendor that sells 3 pts kit for hydros (not the C-195 though). He has one on it 520.

Goos luck with the 195, they are nice machines.

jwilbt

I hadn't given the 'Johnny Bucket' like loaders much consideration but you make a good point. I didn't include this in my opening statement but I intended to lift dirt up into my pickup box. It was actually my wife the other day who observed that I could probably use the neighbors back yard right next door, back my truck in and get the dirt into my truck with the blade or as you suggest a scoop attachment. (Although that suggestion comes from someone who doesn't understand the need to own multiple tractors, even if you only use one, so how reliable can she be?!). :thumbs: