Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsec165

C-165 Mule Drive Problems please help

wheelhorsec165

I finally got my mower deck all squared away, everything feels nice and smooth. When I mounted the deck to the tractor and tried to engage the mule drive the tractor begins to stall out and will if allowed to? I'm stumped, all help is appreciated, I need to mow. :thumbs:

kloe0699

If your deck's spinning freely then I would think it's a mule drive pulley or a pto problem :thumbs: Any chance of you posting some pic's? Kevin

dgjks6

This is a one step at a time process.

Step 1 - check the tension from the motor to the deck trough the mule drive and make sure it is not to tight. You can adjust it with the knob on the mule drive.

I hope this was the problem, because the rest gets a little more work.

Step 2 - take the from the PTO to the deck off and make sure the PTO engages properly

Step 3 - remove the deck and mule drive.

Step 4 - remove the belt that connects the deck to PTO through the mule drive

Step 5 - check the pulleys on the mule drive. Make sure they spin free and no noise, etc

Step 6 - remove the belt on the deck that drives the pulleys and check each pulley to make sure the blades spin freely

If all above is OK then time to start checking the engine

6wheeler

Well, lets start with some simple checks. 1st, is your deck belt twisted?I mean the one on the deck itself. Then check the drive belt for the deck, If the belt has the wrong twist in it or the belt isn't on the mule pulley right it can do that. If the belt is on right, it should be the "v" rides on the inside pulley and the flat or backside of the belt rides on the outside pulley. I have a 165 that I use for everything and it works flawlessly. hope this helps. Pat

wheelhorsec165

Thanks for the replies guys, 6Wheeler is there any way you could send pics of the tensioner pulleys and the Mule Drive, so I could see it visually? Does the belt go on the inside or outside of the Mule Drive? I think I have it right on the tensioner pulley after looking at it. What is the proper tension on the belt? I have it going now after adjusting the threaded rod on the engagement lever, just want to make sure the belt is on right. Thanks again!

:thumbs:

IthacaJeff

Hi;

When you say you engaged the mule drive, do you mean you pushed the PTO

engagement lever forward? If the engine begins to die out when you do this

there is a good chance there is a safety switch problem.

One the the experts out there can provide a step by step on checking the switch.

Good luck,

Jeff in Ithaca

gwgdog66

Also make sure your belt covers are not touching the spindle belt pulley's. Had this happen on my brothers when we replaced the deck belt.

wheelhorsec165

I have the deck operating now, my safety switch was unplugged, not sure if that caused the stalling, plugged it in and it worked. I just want to make sure I have the proper tension and belt aliigned properly on the Mule Drive? Does it go on the inner or outer pulley on the MD? Thanks again.

TT

PTObelt.jpg

The assembly in the above picture is the power take off. (PTO)

The deck drive belt tensioner assembly (often referred to as a "mule drive") snaps into the front hitch and directs the belt around the front of the tractor and back to the mower deck.

WHCCshow2008071.jpg

TT

Here is how the belt is normally routed on the 3 blade decks:

5208002.jpg

5208005.jpg

wheelhorsec165

TT, thanks just what I was looking for, that's how I have it set now. With the cover on the MD the belt off the PTO seems to rub against the MD cover? The return side of the belt to the deck does not.

TT

I pulled the guard off for the picture, but sometimes the belt does drag a little on the inside.

If the belt is too long or stretched, the tensioner has to be adjusted out more to compensate. Sometimes the slot for the alignment pin (on the guard) will allow the guard to be turned enough on the shaft to get it away from the belt. I suppose the pin could also be tweaked a little or the slot could be enlarged just enough to let the guard move.

6wheeler

Wheelhorse 165, sorry I didn't get back to you right away. Terry always has the best pics, kudos to you terry. Anyway he is right, you can try loosening the nut on the drive and see if you can turn it a little to maybe get some clearance. It may also be bent from dropping it or running into something. And, as far as adjusting the threaded rod, Don't tighten it too tight. If you engage it, look to see if it is actually too tight by watching the engine itself. If you are pulling the engine back it is too tight. Mine was like that when I got it. But, it works fine now. Its a great tractor, mine mows, Plows the garden and a lot more. Have fun Pat