Sign in to follow this  
oldredrider

Snowblower with POR 15

oldredrider

Six months ago we were COVERED in snow and I expect the same six months from now. Ok, I know it's July and it's hotter than the hinges on the doors to hell, but I need to know if anyone has tried POR 15 on snowblower chutes or augers. POR 15 sounds like it works well on decks, why not snowblowers?

squonk

Pour it in when it's running for good coverage! :thumbs::D Only kidding. Not sure how slippery Por-15 is but I would want the slickest surface possible.

oldredrider

Hey Chas, Thanks for the link. I'm assuming by the posting dates, you haven't had a chance to try it out yet, at least not on snow! Still curious if the cost of POR 15 is justified in keeping the chute/auger from clogging. Anyone else tried this?

HorseFixer

I have used POR 15 for years and their products just keep getting better and better. The smoother the surface the better for chucking snow and the best surface to probably paint would be a sandblasted surface then use the metal ready to put the zinc chromate surface profile on the metal then the POR a couple coats. I would then Top coat with a new product they have which is HARD NOSE which is tougher and slicker than whale snott. That stuff fills deep Pitts and does a great job and impervious to all kinds of chemicals, and as I mentioned is ROCK HARD. I have not done my SNOW CHUCKER yet but if I ever get around to tearing it completely down the INSIDE of the blower will get a blasting and then will get the POR 15 products! REMEMBER all paint needs to be removed the POR needs to come in contact with metal whether it be Rusted or clean metal it just needs the loose scale removed if it is badly rusted so the POR can BITE into and hold to the surface. I did a Ford Truck Frame 18 years ago and like I mentioned their Product Line just keeps getting better and better Good Luck! P.S. I wonder if they make a paint to cover Grey Hair? :thumbs:

~Duke

92320083027.jpg

Butch

Well did the snow stick to that chassis? I've been using Por15 for a good 15 plus years. But I've had both good and bad luck with it. You do have to follow the instructions to the T.

Did you consider trying Pam or WD14?

Butch

S. Jersey

Pollack Pete

I paint the bottom side of all my mower decks with POR-15.When I fix up a snow blower attachment,the chute and auger will be painted with it too.This paint is hard as a rock and keeps metal from rusting.Also,very shiny.One drawback,it's UV sensitive.Fades and gets dull when it's exposed to sun light.But you can top-coat it with any other kind of paint.